Under a week old, ugh

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Brett1203, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Today some how I scratched my SS in less than a week, I don't even think polish will fix this one, looks deep.

Attached Files:

2. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Does Apple Care+ cover bad scratches? I know minor ones are considered normal "wear & tear", but at what point will they consider it actual damage? Or only if screen is cracked?

3. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

4. Brett1203, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Just bought Apple Care +, called Apple support. I just ordered some stainless steel cleaner wipes, so I doubt it will fix this but I can hope

5. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Hey, the watch is now officially part of your life's journey. Or at least until you upgrade. Seriously, I would consider the Apple Watch a tool watch and any tool watch is destined to get some battle scars. I have scratches on my watch from wearing it all day and night and my girlfriend's watch is even worse from working at a restaurant. Scars, blemishes, scratches, dings, they are part of the experience of owning and enjoying a watch—or any tool. It shows history and use, even if it's under a week.

My words might seem hollow but I fully empathize with you. I remember my first nasty scratch on my first watch and it haunted me for days. But I realized that guitar owners never fret about scratches and dings on their Fenders or Gibsons. In fact, quite the opposite. An aged, banged up guitar shows legitimacy and authenticity. People even pay extra to artificially make their new guitars look aged and worn down from years of use.

I mean, just look at how beautiful the back of this iPod looks. It was disappointing to see all these forum posts and YouTube videos of people complaining of scratches and wanting to polish their iPods with Mothers. It's like erasing memories.

Attached Files:

6. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Wouldn't it be fraud to purchase Apple Care + after the damage has occurred if you plan to use Apple Care + to get a new watch?

7. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I didn't get it to return it, got it because I see how easy it can be damaged so rather be safe than sorry. Not going to go in and pay the $79 claim fee for one scratch but now I have peice of mind in case I do more damage. Please don't assume things.

8. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I did not assume. Notice I said "if" you plan to use apple care + to get a new watch.

9. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

I got a good chuckle after looking at the back of your iPod. That thing has gone through several wars and has the "battle scars" to prove it.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I had a similiae deep gash. Took it to a watch repair place and they buffed it out. After all, its Steel under the steel.

11. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I was going to suggest a trip to a watch repair place when you get enough of life's marks on it to make it worth it if your own efforts don't take care of. It's not dented, so possible the scratch will more or less get buffed out. I have Apple Care+ too and figure if my screen gets cracked that will be the time to use it. I wouldn't bother for scuffs or scratches on the stainless.

Having read your posts about switching from the sport model to the SS and all the issues you had along the way, I felt bad to see your photo. What did you have it a day or two? Ah, such is life.

12. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Yeah got it Monday lol, I have no idea how I did it but I'm reading so many who are getting nicks so I guess I'll take it in stride and enjoy the character lol

13. David58117 macrumors 65816

I bought a case for mine.

With my job (healthcare) it would get dinged up way too quickly, and being able to use a sterilized wipe is much better on the case, rather than needing to on the watch itself.

14. Thepixelsedge macrumors regular

i bought the pre-moistened polishing wipes on amazon and they got out some pretty nice scratches... I might use it every 6 months or so... Look it up on Amazon... Cape Cod Polishing wipes... cleans and polishes all types of metal and they're re-usable and come in a closable foil pouch to stay wet.

15. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I got a scratch on my SS when it was just a few days old. I could feel it and the Cape Cod cloth helped but didn't remove it. I took it to a jeweler and it was mostly buffed out. I can only see it if I'm really looking closely in bright light.

16. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

Just keep in mind those Cape Cod polishing cloths are known to contain chemicals that attack the seals on most watches. Flitz on a thin cotton patch is a much better solution.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

^^^THIS^^^

A professional will have a tool somewhat like a dremel that turns at high speed and with some skil can make that scratch go away.

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Gingerly applied with a q-tip.

19. Brett1203 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

Those are actually the ones I ordered also, saw them on a CNET Video review of the Stainless watch and scratches

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Many people already have a Dremel with a large polishing pad, or can buy one from a local store for cheap.

Use it with some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish. Worked great on another stainless steel watch I have.

21. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Mothers is great for the steel but be careful around the glass. The abrasives in Mothers are the same hardness as the sapphire.