Under two-year-old iPhone 6 fit for the bin?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alexjholland, Nov 3, 2016.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

Hey, I got an iPhone 6 64GB in January 2014 on a two-year contract from EE, who I've been with for maybe four-six years.

This is my third or fourth iPhone and I'm used to them ageing pretty badly; but this is by far the worst iPhone I've ever owned. It's been frustrating to use from around a year in.

I'm moving to Australia and want to use it with a Pay-As-You-Go SIM, but it's becoming unusable.

If I click on Facebook, it can sit with a white screen for 10-15 seconds before anything happens and regularly crashes. I can't trust it not to lose messages sometimes when I'm writing them, so have got used to select all and copy, just in case. Nothing is reliable.

The battery is trash. This morning I left the house at 0800 and by 0900, having watched a few videos, it was dead.

I'm due my upgrade now, but am moving to Australia in January (from England) so can't take another contract out. And even though I should get employer sponsorship, it seems slightly non-sensible to take out a two-year contract on arrival in Australia, given that I only have a one-year visa, initially.

I cannot accept that a £700 device is fit to chuck in the bin after 20 months.

That's not right. There must be something wrong with this device; it feels like a Friday afternoon job.

Do I have any kind of recourse with EE or Apple?

2. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Have you tried resetting your device and stating as new? Sometimes what you have on your device can cause it to act badly and burn through the battery.

Just do an encrypted backup with iTunes and start over and see how your phone works

3. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

I have quite a few apps.. Culling those, then doing the complete reformat could help?

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You need to look under setting and see what is eating your battery. It is possible that it is at end of life. As far as how you phone acts, i would try getting rid of what you do not use and then go farther. If that did not work, resetting as new will tell you if your apps are the problem. How much free memory do you have. If you have just a 32GB device or even 64GB device and your device is near full, that will also cause problems. The OS needs room to run well.

5. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

As Newtons said, have you updated to the latest iOS?

I bought a launch day iPhone 6 and had to take it into Apple recently because it developed the yellow edges around the screen fault/ also known as pink screen, not to mention the battery was completely trashed - similar to what you described.

Anyway I used the consumer law to get my phone replaced because it was out of warranty, otherwise would have cost £119 for new screen!

If you do decide to go that route - the only issue you might face is a little hassle from EE to claim consumer law as I believe you would have to go back to them first. I bought directly from Apple so it was a simpler process.

6. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, always the latest OS!

You think I can take it into Apple and demand to switch it for poor performance and/or battery life?

I've recently broken the screen, so will have to get that fixed. We all know a cracked screen has nothing to do with performance and these issues pre-date me dropping it; but I know Apple will use it as an excuse to do nothing!

7. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

That I'm not too sure of. Housing-wise my phone was in mint condition (even the genius commented on the fact) bar one tiny chip.

So I wasn't 100% honest on the free replacement.

Basically Apple agreed to replace my screen for free but when they tested the battery they said it wasn't faulty but could see that its approaching the end of its life cycles quicker than normal (but still in the green). The genius put it down to software bug and suggested I restore to new. I told him I had already tried that in the past and although he was pretty helpful he basically said there is nothing he could do as batteries are not covered under the consumer law.

Anyway long story short, they took my phone in for same day repair I went back to collect and noticed there was an extra ding/chip on the housing. I brought it to there attention - their inspection notes only mentioned one chip, genius verified it was only one chip when handed in and the end result was a swapped handset, happy days!

8. Applejuiced, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can demand all you want but if you're not under warranty they dont have to fix or replace anything.
    And they do not work on damaged devices so you will have to pay to get that screen fixed 1st.

9. mwd25 macrumors regular

mwd25

We do??? Maybe not the cracked screen itself but the screen didnt just spontaneously crack.......you admit you dropped it. So, seeing a cracked screen they will absolutely use that as a excuse........and rightly so. If you had to shell out for a replacement phone that someone brought into a store you owned, you wouldnt bring up the fact they dropped the thing, and dropped it hard enough to crack screen????? Come on. Of course you claim the issues predate you dropping it, but thats going to be impossible for you to prove, and lets face it, people lie their ass off!!!! Talk to some Apple employees and ask about all the people that come in DEMANDING a new phone to replace their 2 year old one. Oh they swear they take great care of it, they have no idea why it just stopped working. Open the phone and surprise surprise, water comes dripping out!!!! Oooops, thought you dried it out huh???

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Did you mean 2015?

Official release of the iPhone 6 was September 19, 2014.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

While some of our friends not in America pay higher prices and taxes on their electronics, they do enjoy warranty services superior to what we get.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, but those additional government regulations are not as cut and dry.

13. cooldawggg macrumors newbie

That is crap... my battery life last me the day... nothing too heavy but it lasts.. facebook takes 1 second or less to load... ur phone is just messed Up.. no disrespect...

Ur phone was faulty to begin with so don't go giving apple a bad name because of some malfunction.