under warranty battery replacement?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by turtlebud, Aug 12, 2009.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

I have a 2nd gen ipod touch that I got last september. I'm wondering what the battery life needs to be at before they will consider replacing the battery. I believe apple states that if it's under 50% or normal capacity and it's under warranty, then they'll replace it.

I tried a full charge and then ran it with wifi on playing itunes and it was out in under 6 hours (I started it before I went to bed and it was out when I woke up). The specs state 36 hours of music playback with wifi turned on, and everything else as default. Does that mean that if it's under 18 hours of music playback that it's eligible for replacement? (seems a little high threshold to me)

2. Dino451 macrumors 6502

I always thought the battery life was with the wifi turned off.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If you met those specifications and still only got 6 hours, I think I'd chat with a genius.

4. turtlebud thread starter macrumors 6502a

update

so, i haven't had a chance to go in yet, but I did call to talk to an apple store - basically they said to bring it in and they'll test the battery. if the battery doesn't check out, they'll replace it (with a new/refurbished ipod touch).

I'm pretty sure they'll replace it so, now my dilemma is this:

My 1 year warranty expires on Sept 9, the same date that the special event is being held (where new ipod touches are probably going to be announced). If I buy applecare (which says that the battery is covered in it), and bring in my ipod touch later (maybe later in september or early october), what are the chances that they'll replace it with a new gen ipod touch?

5. JustLikeYou macrumors member

Why would they glve you a new one? They would give you a refurbished 2nd gen or a new 2nd gen from overstock.