Under Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahdickter, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ahdickter macrumors 6502

I've been using my MBP since march and it's been great. But recently whenever I game for about a half hour, the entire system hangs and I must do a hard reset. I don't know what the problem is, but if I go into an Apple Store, can I get a replacement? I haven't opened up the laptop, or installed any extra upgrades.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can take it in and ask Apple to repair it. Not necessarily replace it.

3. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502

How long does that take if I don't know the problem?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like the CPU or GPU is over heating. Which model do you have? Do you notice your fans cranking up when you start playing the game?

Have you tried resetting your SMC if the fans are not ramping up?

If the fans are operating, you'll have to go to apple and In all likelihood the genius will have to ship if off to apple and no, they don't offer replacements unless its a new laptop.

5. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502

Its a Sandy Bridge 2011 model, so wouldn't they simply replace it. And the fans do ramp up (really loudly). I'm thinking its the GPU since I have been running Prime95 (a CPU-stress testing tool) for the past half hour and its been fine. After playing Bad Company 2 for 25-30 mins the whole system hangs. The sound is also stuck on a loop as well when it hard freezes as well.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

No, they won't simply replace it. They will try to determine what the problem is. If they can't fix it, then they will replace it.

Did you update to 10.6.7?

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

is it with the same game? have you tried playing different games? what os are you gaming on? it may be a recent compatibility issue if it's a game that is frequently patched.

8. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502

It happens on every GPU intensive game I play (Crysis, Crysis 2, BFBC2, CoD, etc...) And I'm running Windows 7.

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

hm, then if everything is up to date and it's hanging like you say, then i would definitely give apple a call to explain the situation and schedule an appointment.

10. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Just in case you won't be able to replicate the problem at the appointment, maybe shoot a couple YT videos as well.

12. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502

But would showing them Windows automatically make them suspicious of modding/overclocking?