Underclocking the Mac Mini

Dreamkatcha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
Manchester, England
Yes I know it's already very quiet, but after using a totally silent iBook for the last 9 months the whiney fan noise is starting to grate my nerves. It makes a fairly smooth, low-key whooshing sound which is fine by me, but there's also quite a high pitched, piercing undercurrent to it that I'd really like to eliminate.

So does anyone know if it's possible to slow down the CPU and subsequently reduce the RPMs of the fan? With hindsight I probably should have bought the slower 1.25GHz version.

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
Just a guess here, but the high pitched sound you hear might be the Hard Disk.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
The only way I know of through software works on G5's and laptops, but I'm not sure about iMacs and/or Minis... Anyways, if you haven't tried already, check the Energy Saver settings in System Preferences and under "Options" select "Reduced" for processor performance... Again, I'm not sure the minis have this, but since they're essentially powerbooks with a different form factor and no screen, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Dreamkatcha said:
Yes I know it's already very quiet, but after using a totally silent iBook for the last 9 months the whiney fan noise is starting to grate my nerves. It makes a fairly smooth, low-key whooshing sound which is fine by me, but there's also quite a high pitched, piercing undercurrent to it that I'd really like to eliminate.

So does anyone know if it's possible to slow down the CPU and subsequently reduce the RPMs of the fan? With hindsight I probably should have bought the slower 1.25GHz version.
http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/macmini/

If the mini had a normal case fan which it doesn't, i'd recommend you put a silcon casket. I've only seen pictures of the fan, so dunno if you could possibly rig something similar. btw in submarines they to put (so website say) silicon casket to lessen the noise generated by fans.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
Honestly, the loudest part of your macmini is the optical drive. So if you want it completely silent, just use flash media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.