Undercover and other security

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mynameisshawn, Jul 9, 2008.

1. mynameisshawn macrumors member

Hi, I'm going to college this fall and I'm a bit paranoid, so I'm planning on buying Undercover for my MBP but have some questions about it and general security.
    One, it says it starts working when a thief goes on the internet, but does that mean it only works when someone accesses my account?
    Two, who else used this?
    Three, what other methods of security should I take?

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/works.html

3. JD20165 macrumors newbie

Do not use Undercover

Do not use this product. The company is from Europe and doesnt answer emails. I had to re install OSX on my macbook air after for some unknown reason it booted to a screen that said my mac was stolen (NOT) and it has not been connected to the internet in over 2 months therefore is was rendered useless.

AGAIN buyer beware this product is NOT worth the grief in having to loose anything not backed up since the company Orbicule has little to NO support.

I learned my lesson never buy any software from some small company outside the US.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

5. Kellyg macrumors newbie

I've used Undercover

They answered my emails and did everything they said they would. My son's iBook was stolen while he was traveling. The thief took it to Canada (we're in Texas). We know that because Undercover told us where the iBook was, including ISP and IP address. Unfortunately, working with the Montreal Police Department from Texas was impossible and they eventually just stopped returning our calls, so the computer was never recovered. None of that was Orbicule's fault, however.