Undercover any good ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by elmancho, Nov 14, 2009.

1. elmancho macrumors 6502

elmancho

Simple question:

is this "undercover" app any good ?
    And would reinstalling leopard just do the trick ?
    Or even changing the HD ...

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you mean do the trick? Do you mean go around the tracking? If yes, then yes it will.

Like any hard drive based solution, you can only hope they don't replace the HDD. You also need to have the Guest account feature enabled, so the "thief" has something to log in with. You should probably enable firmware passwords which should prevent booting from other disks (of course there are ways around this as well).

Until Apple decides to include a hardware chip on the motherboard, the tracking products won't be totally effective.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Most criminals aren't smart enough to replace the HD. Undercover has been tracking my stolen Mac and sending back screen shots since July.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The Undercover FAQ covers this. It recommends setting a firmware password. While that does add a touch extra security, it is pretty easy to bypass, even Apple has a page on how to do so. Just depends on the tech-savviness of the thief. Most thieves will probably try to sell it off as fast as possible. Overall, I'd trust Undercover if you're going to be hauling your machine out into public a lot, or live in a bad neighborhood.