Undercover

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SebZen, Apr 22, 2009.

1. SebZen macrumors 6502

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/mac/

Has anybody used this? It sounds great! I will be buying a MBP today and the biggest fear I have is taking it to public places (mainly the college I go to, which has a lot of idiot kids) so this sounds pretty good.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about it or used it themselves

2. rsaeter macrumors newbie

Sounds great...

Have just read on a Norwegian mac forum about a guy who had his MacBook stolen for the third time. This time he had Undercover installed, and was able to give the police pics of the ones who bought the MB, screengrabs where they entered full names, complete address books and messenger friend list.

Needless to say, he now has his MB back... :cool:

3. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I must say that is one of the coolest apps I've seen for Mac yet! Coolest feature is that it takes pictures of the thief and sends them to you! I might look into getting this.

4. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

the only thing i want to know is when the program activates the iSight does it turn on that little green light next to it?

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully it doesn't!

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It does, it's the LED is hard wired to activate with the camera. Still pretty cool, though.

7. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I wonder what the thief would think when he sees the light come on every few minutes... "Oh ****" or "wtf is that".

8. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Im an Undercover user. Have it on both my Macbook Pro and Air. Thankfully havent had to use it yet. Have read many good reviews and stories about it.

I have also read about people bashing it as a bad piece of software due to the fact that if you are computer savvy enough you can disable it. That is a fair enough point but how I see it is that if someone is stealing your computer they are probably pretty stupid anyway and wont have the slightest clue about that.

At least with it you have a bit of reassurance that you may have some hope of recovering your Mac. If you havent got it then well I would say a lot less likely! :)