Underpants would like some advice please..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by underpants, Jan 16, 2008.

1. underpants macrumors newbie

underpants

Well you must of seen this type of post many times, so Apology's first .. Ok I would like to buy my first ever Apple Mac but my budget is limited and i'm not too sure which Apple Mac in my price range will work out the best option for my needs ? The computer will only be used for basic home general use , surfing , email, photos, music and not too many games .

So heres my Ideas .....

Idea 1.

Mac Mini 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo ......................................$ 799
    Apple Mac wired keyboard ..................................................$ 49
    Samsung SyncMaster 2232 GW 22 inch LCD monitor............ $ 359
    Apple Care ......................................................................$ 149
    Apple Dialup Modem ..........................................................$ 49
    Use current PC Mouse .......................................................$ 0

Total cost .......................................................................$ 1,356

Mac Mini Specification ......

Manufacture No: MB139B/A
    Model Mac mini : 2.0GHz
    Processor: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4MB shared L2 cache
    Memory: 1GB (two 512MB) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) Option: Up to 2GB

Hard drive: 120GB Serial ATA, 5400 rpm Option: Up to 160GB
    Optical drive: 8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Display: N/A
    Graphics: Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
    Video: DVI output port, support for VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter Connects to external display with digital resolution (DVI) 1920 x 1200
    Expansion: Four USB 2.0 ports One FireWire 400 port
    Audio: Built-in speakers, optical digital audio output/headphone out, optical digital audio input/audio line in
    Ethernet: Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
    Wireless: Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (802.11g); built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
    Included access: Apple Remote, DVI to VGA adapter
    Size (H x W x D): 2 x 6.5 x 6.5 inches
    Weight: 2.9 pounds

all Apple items covered by Apple Care 3 year warranty
    Samsung SyncMaster 2232 GW 22 inch LCD monitor has a 3 Year warratny and is a glossy screen like the iMac ( which I like the look of )

idea 2.

iMac ................................................................................$ 1,199
    Apple Care ......................................................................... $ 169
    Apple Dialup Modem ..............................................................$ 49

Total Cost ..........................................................................$ 1, 417

iMac Specification ......

* Processor: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * L2 cache: 4MB shared
    * Frontside bus: 800MHz
    * Memory: 1GB (one SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM(PC2-5300), supports up to 4GB
    * Hard drive: 250GB Serial ATA; 7200 rpm
    * Optical drive: Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive with 4xdouble-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    * Display: 20-inch (viewable) glossy widescreen TFTactive-matrix LCD, 1680 by 1050 pixels, millions of colors
    * Video: Built-in iSight; mini-DVI output port withsupport for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter
    * Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB of GDDR3memory
    * FireWire: One FireWire 400 and one FireWire 800 port;7 watts each
    * USB: Three USB 2.0 ports on computer; two USB 2.0ports on keyboard
    * Audio: Built-in stereo speakers with 24-watt digitalamplifier, built-in microphone, optical digital audio output/headphone out,optical digital audio input/audio line in
    * Ethernet: Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
    * Wireless: Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-inBluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
    * Hardware accessories: Apple Remote, Apple Keyboard,and Mighty Mouse
    * Other: Built-in IR receiver

here's some thoughts , remembering this is my first ever Mac..

1. As the Mac Mini has been around for a long time, would this mean that any problems that existed when it first came out have now been rectified and its a computer with a track record and possibly less of a chance of problems if bought now..?

2. With the Mac Mini having a separate Monitor if the monitor was to become faulty you could still use the Mac Mini while the separate monitor was being looked at,
    and have less computer down time.

3.The Mac Mini is easy to upgrade

So heres the part where I could do with some help...

seeing the small difference in the cost between my Two Ideas, and taking into consideration my computer needs, and the different specifications of each computer
    which idea would offer the best value and possibly reliability , also taking into consideration the current comments about the possible iMac 20 inch screen issues.

your comments and advice would be most welcome for this new switcher to be ....

Underpants :D

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Personally, I'd be inclined to go for the 20" iMac - if only because of the faster disk access (which makes the machine feel snappier) and the potential for replacing with a much larger HD later if you need to. We've got a couple of these machines at the office, and had no issues with the screens at all.

Having said that, I don't think you'd go far wrong whichever route you decide to take....

3. werdna macrumors newbie

With only a $60 price difference, there is very little reason not to go with the iMac. Its easier to upgrade ram, you get a 3.5 hdd and dedicated graphics. The mac mini is aimed at people who already have a monitor and want to spend little to switch to mac.

4. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

The only advice I ever need to give my underpants is "loosen up!".

5. David G. macrumors 65816

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I also vote iMac. It just seems like more bang for your buck.

7. stekerrod macrumors regular

i'd go for the iMac aswell, like a previous poster has said, more computing power! and you can easily stick some more ram in it if needed in future!