underprivileged

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 4now, Mar 4, 2008.

1. 4now macrumors regular

I'm confused by file sharing on Leopard 5.2

I've created drop off folders on 2 MBPs in my home/office network. Both users have read&write permission to these folders.

If I connect to the second computer - create a folder in that person's drop off box & then add files.. then if the person tries to modify the files - they cannot because they appear to not have permission. I don't understand why when we both have permission to these Main Drop Folders.

This is happening in a few other file sharing instances as well.

What am I doing wrong??

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

To modify files you must also have execute permissions. Also, the drop folders must have the same or greater permissions to the inside folders, and to open a folder, you must have Execute permissions.

TEG

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

Meh, all that is waaaay too much work. My buddy and I just share our entire hard drives (or any folder you like) and then connect as each other. The systems show up in the sidebar, i have full read/write access to his entire system, and he to mine, and transferring files is a snap.

Obviously, this massively open door policy doesn't work for everyone, but going from full access to limited access is not too hard.

4. 4now thread starter macrumors regular

There are two people on this network

a DropBox folder on each MBP

both people have Read&Write privileges to both these folders.

if someone creates a folder in the other's DropBox
    then that person cannot open it - without opening info & adding himself to permissions

also

if a file is modified it cannot be re-saved to the DropBox for where it came. Even if I add myself to the permissions list for that file??

What is Execute permissions btw?

5. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

(I thought by the thread title you were looking for donations to buy a Mac :eek:)