Underrated Classic Mac Games

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by savvos, Aug 13, 2008.

1. savvos macrumors regular

What are your favorite underrated classic (or newer) Mac games? Mine is Space Rogue--it is a fun combination of top-down RPG with a fairly good story, 3D space battles and trading, all in 16-color goodness.

2. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Any of the Escape Velocity games..

They've aged pretty well imo.

3. FizzZ* macrumors member

the good old old old game DESCENT!! i dont like the new versions just version 1 and 2 .. try the demos its very good

and HALO but i dont know if halo is a mac game but now a lot of mac users play it, i wish there is counter strike for MAC :,,,,,,(

4. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Alpha Centauri. Wish I could still play that...

5. semicharmed macrumors regular

I have to second Alpha Centuari & the Alien Crossfire expansion.
    Never played them on a Mac, but I think they're my two favorites of all the Sid Meier's Civ-series game. Graphics looked good(!), gameplay was snappy. I wasted hours of my middle-school years playing that.
    I'd love to see someone re-release, in it's original form (graphics & all), just updated to run on OS X.

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

One of my old favorites growing up was the original Prince of Persia series. Good times there.

7. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I loved nanosaur! Me and my two siblings would cram into the chair to play it together... *sigh*
    I've been looking for a way to play nanosaur 1 for ages... does anyone have a solution? It wouldn't work in sheepshaver, and they never updated it, even for old times' sake. And nanosaur 2 is stupid, IMO.

Civ 3 is awesome as well. I played that all the time, until we upgraded to intel. It's better than 4.

8. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

early 90s

Crystal Quest, The Manhole, KidsPix (not really a game), Spaceship Warlock, and The Last Express (highly worth playing on Gametap if you have Boot Camp/Parallels or a Windows PC)

9. darklyt macrumors regular

Spectre - Kept me busy for years.

Same with Looney Labyrinth, just a lot of fun.

My family is still holding on to a couple of our older Macs from the OS 7 era specifically for those games and a couple of others (the names of which I cannot remember).

10. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

If only Ambrosia would port EV to the iPhone!

Now, it isn't nearly as old as some of the other games mentioned, but I really miss the Myth series from Bungie. I believe it never quite achieved the success it deserved.

11. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Also along the lines of Spectre, Super Maze Wars.

12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I thought this topic was supposed to be about underrated games...almost none of the games mentioned so far were underrated.

My answer would be Galapagos. I can kind of see why it didn't do too well--some parts are really hard--but I enjoyed the heck out of it.

--Eric

13. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

Maelstrom (asteroids clone) with Simpsons sounds mod pak.

'Bring him to me!'- Mr. Burns announcing the impending arrival of an extra life floating across the screen.

Actually if anyone knows how to easily get this for my new Intel, I'd love to know. I think Ambrosia made it.

14. savvos thread starter macrumors regular

I just remembered two more great, underrated games: Spin Doctor (which I think can be found at the Macintosh Garden) and Slick Willie. Slick Willie really represented an era. You played Bill Clinton's head and went around eating hamburgers and cheerleaders while avoid flying George Bushes and scandals. Good times.

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You should be able to get that from VersionTracker. Dunno about the sound mod though.

Two games I really miss are Master of Orion 2 and Majesty. I also wish someone would do a proper port of After Dark, and not just the stupid fish module.

16. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Seconded on both - MOO 2 is a great game (too bad 3 was such a disappointment). Majesty was also lots of fun and very unique, and I was always disappointed that the expansion never made it to the Mac. Both games play well in classic if you've got a PPC Mac hanging around, though.

17. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

18. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Spaceward Ho!

I play the OS X version, though. But The Ho is a great simple 4x game, and I've seen nothing like it before or since.

19. TSE macrumors 68030

I used to get MacWorld in the mid-90s to early 2000's, and every issue would come with The Disk which would include wallpapers, videos, games, and apps. I played them all on a really old Mac Clone with 190 MBs of RAM and they all worked great.

Here are some games I really had fun playing as a kid:

-Killing Time
    -CaveFox
    -Pac the Man
    -Oregon Trail II
    -Super Munchers
    -Age of Empires Mac Edition
    -Warcraft II
    -A few others that I forgot the names to.

20. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

21. stab macrumors newbie

Bloodbath!

Need I say more?

Bloodbath (or Bloodbath at the house of death) was the extreme game of its time (early 90's).

It featured actual real video footage of typical badguys who'd pop out from behind doors and open fire with sub machine guns. When hit, blood would fly everywhere!

I esp remember the tombstone level where you were in the cemetery and they'd jump out from behind! Bad tendonitis on that level...

22. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji