Underrated feature of OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dba415, Apr 18, 2012.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

You can scroll on a window even when that window is not selected. Invaluable when you have two windows side by side. Like when you are typing something in word and need to reference an article, the fact that you can just move your mouse over and scroll the page w/o clicking and go right back to typing is great.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yep, that is quite a good feature, and I am so used to it, that when I use Windows I always forget that at first, and then have to adjust. It always feels, some driver is missing, when doing that in Windows.

Another underrated feature is probably the OPTION key and clicking on a menu bar item or other items and bringing additional info and options to light. But then again, I come from a decade of DOS and Windows.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

Doesn't work in all apps though. For instance, Word has to be active in order to scroll in it.

4. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

This is especially nice when running dual monitors.

5. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I have always used that! I never realized it until now. I'll bet Windows doesn't have this feature :cool:

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

it does

edit:
    between windows of teh same application at least. i.e., select an open outlook window and you can mousewheel scroll another without making it active. however you can't mousewheel scroll say, outlook while mozilla is active...

7. simsaladimbamba

Since when?

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You might be interested in WizMouse, which adds similar (although not identical) functionality to Windows.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I remember doing it in Vista, and do it regularly in 7.

I can't remember if it did it in XP (i mostly skipped XP) or 2000.

10. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I THANK GOD for this feature every time I am finished working on my windows laptop. Definitely not underrated by me. :)

It is very invaluable especially when your taking online classes while taking notes on the computer.