Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chormadito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Hi, I was wondering if you guys could please give me a better understanding of what "ifile" is. I've read that ifile is like ssh. I'm still a bit confuse, but "IFILE" IS ssh or is it just an alternative way like sshing?

I know that if you have ssh, then you must make sure that you change the password to be safe... but for ifile...is it safe... or is it like ssh, where I have to change my password or something like that? I don't want to deal with ssh because I don't have much knowledge about it and I wouldn't want to mess around with it, but is "ifile" safe to use? Do you have to pay for ifile, if so, is there any other apps like it that is free and safe?

Also I'm just curious, is there an app called "ssh"?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
iFile, as its name implies, is a file browser for jailbroken iDevices. It has nothing to do with ssh. Splurge, and spend the $4.00 for iFile.

The only other way to browse the directories and files on an iDevice is to ssh into the device via wireless or USB, using the default userid and password, hence the recommendation to change the default password. The risk of not doing this, IMO, has been blown out of proportion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.