Understanding Background App Refresh

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Solos79, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Solos79 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Can You tell me how background app refresh works? I turned it on and set only one app to refresh in background (instacast). However there are several blue arrows next to apps which shouln't use background app refresh:

[​IMG]

Does it mean that these apps use background app refresh (drain battery) even they are turned off on the list?

2. Liquidizer macrumors newbie

The blue arrow means that the apps have used your location in the background.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

Don't listen to Liquidizer. The blue arrow simply means that the app will be allowed to use the GPS if BAR is activated for that app.

4. hieubui.rtz macrumors member

According to my ipad
    "A blue location service icon will appear next to an item that uses location in background including geofences"

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Yes, that's what I said.

It does not indicate that the app is using, or have used, the GPS. It indicates that the app will be allowed to use the GPS in the background if you activate BAR for that app.

An arrow in the BAR settings is not the same as an arrow in the Location Services settings.

6. Liquidizer macrumors newbie

Sorry, I appear to have gotten it wrong, that wasn't my intention! I was simply copying what it said in the background app refresh settings on my iPad.

Attached Files:

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

When Apple presented Background App refresh during WWDC they implied that iOS would learn your app usage trends so that it would refresh an app right before you opened it so you would see the most recent info.

Heres an example:

Let's say every morning at 8am you drink your coffee, open the CNN news app and read the headlines.

After a few days iOS is supposed to learn your trend and refresh the CNN app in the background before 8:00am so that when you opened it up it would already be up to date. It's also supposed to load that app into memory as well if it's closed.

8. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

But I think the app has to be written to have this feature and not many do, it's not automatic, the app has to have that feature.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Supposedly it's there, as described in one of the sections at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

10. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

How do you get dropbox in your background app refresh list? I've got the latest dropbox version installed but its not showing up in my list :/

11. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Isn't BAR one of the key battery-draining causes for most users? :confused:

I would have thought most users would abstain from turning it on nowadays.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Might depend on some features that are enabled or not in the app--like automatic phot upload when location changes in case of Dropbox.

13. hafr macrumors 68030

I have no such thing active, never have, but it's in my BAR-list...

14. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Thanks! apparently you have to enable the camera upload function and then the background upload option before you get it onto the list. I've disabled it afterwards and its still on my list :) Hopefully twitter and instagram will implement BAR as well soon.

15. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I hope they do a proper iOS 7 upgrade soon with background syncing of files.

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Any proof so far that BAR is really working this way ?

17. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't have automatic photo upload enabled and Dropbox is in my BAR setting, but only on the iPhone (not in the iPad)

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps you played around with some Dropbox settings at one point and that made it appear?

19. Max(IT), Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Same for me

----------

Yep.... Probably the automatic upload was on after installation.

I just made a try: enable the function on iPad, and Dropbox showed itself in BAR setting page. I disabled it but Dropbox remain in BAR setting page.

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Mine is turned on for all apps that support it. I don't see any significant battery drain.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You are talking as if this feature wasn't introduced 61 days ago...

I doubt people have had long enough to really decide - not many Apps will be using it to its full potential.

22. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

As far as I can understand from Apple documentation, BAR works only for opened apps on background, so unless you don't leave unused apps on background, it shouldn't cause any batty drain at all.

23. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

FWIW I don't close any cards in the task switcher.

24. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

In this case you could have battery drain with BAR switched on, but I strongly suspect it is very very little.

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I can't complain. I take my phone off the charger at 6am when I wake up and by the time I get home from work around 6pm my battery is usually at 50% or so. I also have frequent locations turned on as well.

its 3pm right now and my battery is at 63%. Completely normal usage for me.