Understanding BitTorrent & torrents

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kevster89, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

I have read various guides on the internet, including different threads on MacRumors, regarding torrents, clients, etc., but still do not completely understand how the entire BitTorrent system works as a whole.

For instance, if I download Transmission, can I download files (movies, music, etc.) directly through the Transmission application without having to download another application?

Or, do I need to run Transmission on another application, or something along those lines?

I am simply confused about the entire process, and if someone could break it down to very simple steps, instructions, or information that would be great. All I'm looking for is the ability to connect to other users and download content, not do anything fancy.

2. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Transmission is a stand alone application, you do not need to install any thing else to run transmission.

After Transmission is installed, then you go online and download .torrent files which you drag and drop into Transmission and your download will begin.

Depending on the content you are downloading and your internet service provider, you made need to configure Transmission's preferences for better performance and to protect your privacy.

3. Kevster89 thread starter macrumors regular

Kevster89

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. When you say go online, do you mean websites or go online via Transmission itself?

Like Is said, I'm a complete noob when it comes to torrents and all that jazz, so if I sound stupid I'm not surprised! :rolleyes:

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Unlike other bit torrent clients such as azureus, Transmission does not have a built in browser.

Open your browser, ie safari or firefox or ......, to access the internet. Then, go to a torrent website to download .torrent files.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Here's a pretty simple "Beginner's Guide".

Basically, after you've installed your client software, you then visit a torrent tracker site, like LegalTorrents, and find content you want to download.

You download the associated torrent file (which is usually small, only a few kb in size) from the tracker website to your computer. You then open that small torrent file with your client software (like transmission) to begin downloading the associated (and usually much larger) content file.

LegalTorrents also has a pretty good FAQ.

Hope this helps.

6. Kevster89 thread starter macrumors regular

Kevster89

I accidentally sent in this post too early, which I went on and finished and sent in my following post. I cannot figure out how to delete this post, so please disregard it. Thanks.

7. Kevster89 thread starter macrumors regular

Kevster89

Thanks a lot for the great link & your own information you provided in your post. They were both very useful when reading... I have a much better understanding now.

I welcome and appreciate additional information for those of you that wish to offer it! Thanks again!

8. bnut macrumors newbie

bnut

Something to keep in mind though Kevster, a torrent is downloading from other people that have the files, not a high speed server. So you want to find a torrent with a lot of seeds, this means that they have a lot of people sharing it. Then you can get different parts of the same file from different people at the same time and if it's well seeded will go just as well as most high speed servers. Then when it has finished remember to leave it going for a while as a seeder yourself, so that you give back and allow others to seed. Most new torrents are extremely well seeded (depending on just how new), I was downloading Elephants Dream when it came out at about 8MBps lol.

-Edit if it's not well seeded it may take a while to get to speed, and even then is limited by the speed of your peers

9. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

In Transmission you can see the Ration for every download, which is Upload/Download. So if you keep seeding until Ration 1 you seeded as much as you downloaded. I usually do that.

If other Transmission users read this, please have a look into my blog and feel free to write a comment:

Transmission/Bittorrent Ration - Stöckchen

10. Kevster89 thread starter macrumors regular

Kevster89

I have been reading that after installing a torrent client, such as Transmission or uTorrent, that users sometimes have trouble getting the ports to work correctly with their routers.

What is this all about?
    How can I avoid running into this, and is this something that is easy to correct/fix?

Thanks for the advice.. Kevster

11. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

If it works you don't need to do it. Otherwise we can help you. So try it first, please.

12. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Without opening proper ports, you won't be able to establish connections to other people

www.portfoward.com

This site is all you need

13. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

Normally you don't have to do it by yourself. Just try download Transmission and a .torrent file and try if it works. If it does you don't have to worry about anything.