Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nekkid Fish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
So Cal
Maybe I'm just too stoopid, but I am having the hardest time understanding my .mac account. :eek:

I know I can check my email there, and my address book, but that is about all I understand.

I published my calendars, but don't see those anywhere when I go to my dot.mac account. :confused:

I also see a button that says "Home Page" ... is this a different thing than my iWeb pages I've created? Or does this add to my iWeb website?

I've spent an hour this morning Googling this, searching here and elsewhere, and really do not find that there's a ton of information out there, even on Apple's website. :rolleyes:

Any and all help is appreciated! Or, if you know of any articles, tutorials, whatever, that would help me understand how to use and utilize my dot.mac account would be great!

Thanks and HUGz! Jules

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Maybe I'm just too stoopid, but I am having the hardest time understanding my .mac account. :eek:

I know I can check my email there, and my address book, but that is about all I understand.

I published my calendars, but don't see those anywhere when I go to my dot.mac account. :confused:

I also see a button that says "Home Page" ... is this a different thing than my iWeb pages I've created? Or does this add to my iWeb website?

I've spent an hour this morning Googling this, searching here and elsewhere, and really do not find that there's a ton of information out there, even on Apple's website. :rolleyes:

Any and all help is appreciated! Or, if you know of any articles, tutorials, whatever, that would help me understand how to use and utilize my dot.mac account would be great!

Thanks and HUGz! Jules
Your calendars can be viewed by going into iCal, clicking "Send Publish Email", and copying the link that iCal generates.

Home Page is completely separate from the stuff you make in iWeb, and is used for making file sharing pages, photo galleries, or even your own HTML.

The dotMac site has a helpful tutorial which explains many of these things. Once you're logged in, click Help in the top blue bar.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, I found it a little confusing too.

As far as I can tell, Home Page is a different area than iWeb. It's where applications like Comic Life publish to (in addition to the templates and stuff you can do from your dot.mac homepage).

And I don't understand why a published iCal isn't linked to anywhere from the http://www.mac.com page when you logon... But I still love having it available on the web. :)

Edit: wrldwzrd89 beat me to it. :)

Nekkid Fish

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
So Cal
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that says it's confusing. ;)

I created a group page, but cannot figure out how to use iCal to group related calendars, and show them on there.

The Apple website specifically says you can use iCal to group related calendars, yet I can find nothing on this in their help section or their forums.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Regarding the Home Page, is there a reason I'd have this, since I already have a site created with iWeb?

Or, if I create a Home Page there, can I put the 'group' page on there?

Sorry if this sounds confusing ... I'm confused. :cool:

Thanks and HUGz! Jules

prechrchet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2002
Along these same lines...

Is it necessary to have a .mac account in order to make the photobooks? I have a friend that I know has made one (I've seen it in person), but she says that she does not have a .mac account.

Is she mistaken, somehow, or do you really not have to have one? (I had always thought that you did.)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
AFAIK, you don't need a .Mac account to make a PhotoBook or to have Kodak prints made of your iPhoto pictures.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
If you want to know how to take full advantage of how to use all thats in .mac and even more check out the learning center. If you sign in on mac.com on the right hand side there is a learning center. Click into there and there are a bunch of tutorials just on .Mac.

Kevin

prechrchet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2002
If you want to know how to take full advantage of how to use all thats in .mac and even more check out the learning center. If you sign in on mac.com on the right hand side there is a learning center. Click into there and there are a bunch of tutorials just on .Mac.

Kevin

Problem: I don't have an active .mac account.

I need to know whether or not I have to shell out $99 in order to make some photobooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.