Understanding formatting/partitioning/OSX install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Julien, May 21, 2008.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

New to Mac. Bought a mac pro today and installed 2-1TB HD's. When I started the install there where no drives listed as a place to instal the OSX. Used the Disc Utility but could not find a way to format. I then made 1 partition and gave it the name "Boot Drive". Did the same for the 2ed HD and named it "Time Machine". Then they both showed up as a choice to install the OSX to (which I did on Boot Drive"). Thy both also appear on my Desktop. Is this the correct procedure for installing new HD's?

Also I noticed that Disc Utility offers RAID support. Could I go back and install 2 more 1TB HD and then make RAID 0 for a 2TB "Boot Drive" and 2TB "Time Machine" without install a RAID card?

2. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

The "format" option is entitled "Erase..." in Disk Utility.

Perhaps that is the source of confusion?

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In answer to your second question: Yes, you can - but remember that what you are creating is called "software RAID", and has some limitations compared to using a RAID card to create hardware RAID.

That said, using software RAID it is possible to make RAID arrays of things you can't normally make RAID arrays of, such as a collection of same-size USB thumb drives.

4. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Did I mess up by using a single partition to "format" the HD. I probably lost a few MB's of space. Is there a way to see the whole HD to see the amount I may be missing?
    What are the limitations I would be facing? Wouldn't using 2 HDs to make a RAID 0 (and doing the same for a TM HD) be a good option?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You might not be able to make your boot drive into a software RAID configuration, for example. However, for Time Machine this is certainly doable.

6. Julien thread starter macrumors G3

Julien

Talked with tech support and they said you could make a RAID 0 software HD as you boot drive. Has anyone done this before I spend the money on 2 more HDs?

7. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

The Mac Pro forum is the best place to ask. If it's
    been done, it's been done by people posting there.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1