Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chenchend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
I recently got myself an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1, modem firmware/baseband 3.10.01. but i do not have any commitment with any sort of telco carrier. do i still need to unlock the baseband? or can i just jailbreak it with to-date greenpoison? still new with the iphone thing. thnx~

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
I recently got myself an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2.1, modem firmware/baseband 3.10.01. but i do not have any commitment with any sort of telco carrier. do i still need to unlock the baseband? or can i just jailbreak it with to-date greenpoison? still new with the iphone thing. thnx~

Is the phone lock to a carrier? If yes and you want to use it on another carrier, the phone needs to be unlock. And, 3.10 baseband can only be factory unlock. Ultrasnow software unlock does not work on it.

And, Greenpoison is to JB the phone. Unlock and JB are two different things.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If it's not an AT&T iPhone, I think you can bring it to a carrier that supports the iPhone to have it unlocked (some may charge you a fee) or it may already be unlocked.

chenchend

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2011
my phone is not lock to any carrier. means that i can just JB it? thanx~

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
If you have an unlocked phone, you do not have to be concerned about upgrading the the baseband when you upgrade the firmware (iOS).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.