Understanding iTunes Match and Photostream with iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by D1G1T4L, Oct 25, 2012.

1. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Ok picked up my new iPhone 5 and have iTunes Match and Photostream enabled.

First question is with iTunes Match:
    I wanted to use iTunes Match to stream music instead of having to store music on my phone. Seems like when I have been playing a song and then go into settings/about it says I have songs on my phone. Are they being downloaded? I thought iOS 6 would allow me to stream music instead of having to download it.

Now Phtostream:
    I have photostream enabled in Apeture/iPhoto and it has 1000 of my most recent photos in that folder. Well when I enabled photostream on my iPhone it seems to be downloading these photos onto my phone. Well iTunes says I have space being taking up by photo's even though I haven't taken any yet. Is this how it works? It downloads the photos and stores them on my phone?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

On iTunes Match, no it doesn't stream!

I don't know on the other, since I don't use photo stream.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm a little confused here.

You're saying that photos that were already in your computer before are copying back to the iPhone? Do I have that right?

That's possible but it's a setting in both iPhoto and Aperture's preferences on your Mac. It's a check-box for uploading photos FROM the computer to Photo-stream. If you don't want that to happen just un-check that and then photos will come from Photo-stream to your computer but won't go back the other way.

4. Appleseeds macrumors regular

iTunes Match does not stream.
    When you select a song it will download.
    PhotoStream if enabled will download the photos you have stored in PhotoStream in the cloud.