Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meegosh2013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
I have recently being monitoring my network traffic with activity monitor. I have noticed that the 'Data sent' section seems quite high (when I looked earlier it was at 1GB received and 500mb sent, I'm sure the data sent is usually much lower), especially when watching Youtube videos.

When I'm on my PC and monitor the 'data sent' activity in Task Manager it is much lower, even when I'm browsing the same webpages/watching the same Youtube videos.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is. I am hoping I am being paranoid but does this sound like a security issue?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
If you are concerned, get a copy of little snitch. It monitors outgoing packets and lets you know what's going on. I've never used it, but I've seen it recommended by several folks on this forum.

meegosh2013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2013
If you are concerned, get a copy of little snitch. It monitors outgoing packets and lets you know what's going on. I've never used it, but I've seen it recommended by several folks on this forum.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

I have looked again at Activity Monitor and today the amount of traffic being sent has gone down, even though I've only being doing the same kind of browsing (Youtube videos, basic browsing etc.). So I'm not sure what was going on yesterday. Could it be an error with Activity Monitor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.