Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
I thought I had an understanding of notifications in iOS 5. The more I think about it the more I disagree with Apple's implementation.

Why do Instagram and Facebook have dozens of notification toggles AND under settings I can turn off Notification Center for the App?

I want to know that Notifications are either on or off. In iOS 5 I have to dig into every Apps settings to toggle them off then make a separate decision in regards to their Notification Center behavior.

Could someone set me straight...

aoifeee

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
In notifications in settings you can see which apps have notifications switched on.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I thought I had an understanding of notifications in iOS 5. The more I think about it the more I disagree with Apple's implementation.

Why do Instagram and Facebook have dozens of notification toggles AND under settings I can turn off Notification Center for the App?

I want to know that Notifications are either on or off. In iOS 5 I have to dig into every Apps settings to toggle them off then make a separate decision in regards to their Notification Center behavior.

Facebook's Settings sets which types of notifications you want (ex. Friend Request, Comments...) while the Notification Center allows/regulates those Facebook notifications.

For example, under Facebook's settings you could set to be notified by everything; however, in the Notification Center, you can set how you see those notifications (as Badges, Have Sounds, Banners).

It's a little confusing but think of Notification Center has the gatekeeper of notifications; if it's turned off in Notification Center, the app won't show anything.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO

I know what you're talking about. The easiest way to tell is go into settings > notifications

If under that app name there is smaller text like "sounds, banners" or something of that sort, the notification is on. If there is no smaller text, there would be no notification.

I would agree that there should be a separate category in that screen to say where notifications are off completely.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
No, you don't. As stated above, turn them off via Settings->Notifications and think of the Notification settings as the "gate keeper". It doesn't matter what the app settings are if the notifications are disabled via Notification settings.

It's like changing your ringer. It really doesn't matter what your ringer is set to if it's muted.

If you're unsure then play around with the settings for Notifications and apps and see for yourself. Don't be afraid to try things out.

Versatility, control.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
The ringer analogy helped me get it.

Conclusion, battery life would not be impacted but every app must be off including Calendar, Phone, Messages.

Once I turn a single app's notification on (Calendar) the battery impact of ten more apps is negligible due to a single small push from Apple's server?

Previous to iOS5, I could improve battery by turning notifications OFF and still get text and phone badges.

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
Flash Player Update Popup

This popup is very annoying. I suspect its malware associated with the web page.

Under notifications in iOS 5, there's nothing about Adobe or Flash Player apps. However, how do you tell if there's not some native Adobe software running like PDF Reader? If there is, could Adobe software be generating these popups? Chat with Adobe customer service was no help.

There's a great sci fi story on the back page of Nature magazine 18 Oct 2012. It's about a spam generator whose brain is flooded with his own spam by some sort of future telekinesis implant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.