Understanding RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ccf, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ccf macrumors regular

I recently bought a 27" iMac (i3) & I'm loving it (PC convert). Anyway, I'm wondering if more RAM would help me. I don't do anything intense, but I typically have several apps running at any one time (Sparrow, Twitter, StarPlayr, etc.). I'm also going to start getting into video.

Would another 4GB make a difference? Also, does my machine come with one slot of 4GB or two slots of 2GB? If two of 2, would I be better off getting two/2 for the other two slots to match (if I understand correctly, my machine has 4 slots)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

What I would recommend is loading up your normal amount of apps, then check Activity Monitor for RAM usage. Look at the page outs, and if that's over a couple hundred MB, you would likely benefit from more RAM. If there is little to none, then no worries.

If you do upgrade, your machine has 4 slots, two of which are filled with 2GB chips. I'd recommend a matching pair of 2GB chips, and it would require 1333MHz DDR3 SODIMMs (PC3 10600), and it's actually laptop-type memory

3. ccf thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.