Undervolting in OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powz, Jun 1, 2008.

1. powz macrumors regular

My MBP is running too hot. Does anyone know a good way to undervolt Santa Rosa or later MBPs in OS X? I did a search and the only program that came up for undervolting in OS X is something called Coolbook, but it doesn't fully support SR MBPs. Thanks for any help!

2. powz thread starter macrumors regular

~80C+ but that's kind of irrelevant to the question...

3. MSmith1915 macrumors newbie

Undervoltage

Try this web site. I'm using it on my March MBP, 15in and it runs 5 to 6 degrees cooler at idle. When I task the CPU, it throttles up the CPU to meet the demand.

http://www.coolbook.se/CoolBook.html

Mike

4. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, Coolbook doesn't fully support my Santa Rosa MBP so I'm looking for an alternative. Anyone?

5. bart rijksen macrumors regular

you could try raising the fan speed using smc fancontrol

6. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    I have not used Coolbook for the same reason as the OP. I do undervolt my SR MBP in Win XP SP2. In OS X I use SMC Fan Control and have the minimum set to 4k RPM which keeps internal temps close to 100ºF

7. Kaupa macrumors regular

Somewhere i ve read about somesting called speedit. But you have to be able to work with the terminal and as I have no idea bout that i didnt try.
    But coolbook is compatible to the SR machines. The only reduction he gives is a slightly shorter battery life. And i can tell you that you wont realize it because thats only and issue for idle CPUs.

8. powz thread starter macrumors regular

That's pretty good with 4k RPM. I use SMC Fan Control as well but even at 4k RPM and just doing IM and web surfing my temp is about 50C (~122 F) in OS X (Vista is significantly higher even with undervolting).

Thanks. Battery life is important to me when using my MBP in class. That's why I'm looking for a better solution.

9. bart rijksen macrumors regular

How does speedit work? i downloaded it, but it doesn't seem to do anything.