Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Browsing through various "best laptops at CES", doesn't seem to be anything really interesting on the Windows front. It's almost like the reporters are struggling to show enthusiasm about the new products. So the bar for Apple is set quite low. :(

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Maybe something in a chassis that looks good. This was just more of the exact same existing designs, mostly bigger sizes. And some machines that previously had a 3:2 aspect ratio went back to 16:9 or 16:10.

Reactions: Cape Dave

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
mostly bigger sizes. a chassis that looks good.

It's comparing apples with windows; they are different. Sure, Apple is a different player now with their M chips. For now and for the foreseeable, others can't or don't want to back themselves into a thermal corner like Apple did, and what a mess that was. So many Windows laptops will stay bigger.

Little will change on the Windows side for a while, much like little will now change on the Apple side.

I thought that there were some attractive designs and options this year. If you're looking for something like Apple, then Apple is your only choice. Otherwise, you have a flip, detachable, dual screen, and more on the Windows side.

Also, remember that CES is annual; nothing much ever changes year to year in laptops. Also announced were the MSI claw, clicks keyboard (love it), Beam O is interesting, Ryzen 8040, Samsung Music Frame, and much more.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
I mean - what 'tentpole' stuff that gets covered as opposed to quietly introduced elsewhere would most often be eye-catching 💩 thrown against the wall. Like the ill-advised mashup of Android and Windows (guaranteed that Lenovo will forget about the Android part after one OS update, or maybe none at all).

I do like the idea of the Zenbook Duo but in practice I can't ever see it making actual sense.

There was one major disappointment tho for me - the '24 Zephyrus G14 (and presumably going forwards) no longer has Anime, trades more premium build and related stuff for it. I actually really liked this feature even though it has no practical purpose, it was just cool if you kept it low-key custom. I'll most likely be updating my older G14's late this year and probably not to the still-Anime'd '23 models, so kinda sad, snif

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
The Zenbook Duo Oled is exactly a device Apple could built easily with its Mx series chip, but won´t because ... they are lazy and complacent.

I find this idea and implementation great. The dual screen workspace potential is fantastic.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This was just more of the exact same existing designs, mostly bigger sizes.
Isn't that what apple has done? How has the MBP changed these past 10 years? (2012 MBP on the left 2023 MBP on the right)

1706352647362.png

I did not follow CES this year, so I can't say if the laptops that were unveiled were ho hum or revolutionary, however these two articles shows some very designs and some manufacturers swinging for the fences

CNET - Best Laptops of CES 2024
PCMAG - The Best Laptops of CES 2024

Reactions: turbineseaplane

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
The Zenbook Duo Oled is exactly a device Apple could built easily with its Mx series chip, but won´t because ... they are lazy and complacent.

I find this idea and implementation great. The dual screen workspace potential is fantastic.

I completely agree with your statement. My plan is to purchase one, as soon as I can.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Isn't that what apple has done? How has the MBP changed these past 10 years? (2012 MBP on the left 2023 MBP on the right)

View attachment 2341653

I did not follow CES this year, so I can't say if the laptops that were unveiled were ho hum or revolutionary, however these two articles shows some very designs and some manufacturers swinging for the fences

CNET - Best Laptops of CES 2024
PCMAG - The Best Laptops of CES 2024
My point is that none of the new designs were particularly exciting for me. In the past I saw laptops that were either super light (e.g. 14” at approx 2 lb) or in a 3:2 form factor better for productivity. But this time there was a regression back to 16:10 and no new strides in lightness.

Pinterra

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
There have been previous years that were "year of the laptop" and some that weren't. This year wasn't.
I mean there were a ton of laptops, but I guess that’s what happens when Intel has a new platform to push.

AMD has Hawk Point coming, and seemingly Intel will have another mobile chip this year. But everyone seems happy saying “AI!” and doing little else.

Maybe something in a chassis that looks good. This was just more of the exact same existing designs, mostly bigger sizes. And some machines that previously had a 3:2 aspect ratio went back to 16:9 or 16:10.
The market just hadn’t accepted 3:2. Only Surface sticking with it. Shame imo

Reactions: Cape Dave

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
thinner, lighter, big battery life, no fans=quieter, less hot and hopefully they can come up with some interesting designs. all 100% speculation based on zero insider knowledge.
My thinking is that sort of have that, what the M series CPU brings to the table, is great battery life and great performance (while on battery). Take the Lenovo Yoga 7i, it has a 12 hour battery, though I wouldn't use it to play Cyberpunk

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
My thinking is that sort of have that, what the M series CPU brings to the table, is great battery life and great performance (while on battery). Take the Lenovo Yoga 7i, it has a 12 hour battery, though I wouldn't use it to play Cyberpunk
I tried a bunch of windows laptops over the past year, they all went back! the claimed multi hour battery life of both the Dell XPS and Yoga 9i were more like 4-5 hours of light usage!! and the fan noise compared to my M1 Mac was very annoying, even it was just for brief spells when starting Teams, booting up, doing updates etc.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
the next generation ARM chip series "Snapdragon X" from Qualcom will be in devices that are announced from June onwards and likely released from late Summer onwards.

Qualcom bought Nuvia (who were founded by former Apple chip people) about 2 years ago and these are the first products with that knowledge and tech implemented.

While it's TBD on how Snapdragon X performs vs M3, they seemingly compete and often beat Intel, AMD and Apple M2-chips not just for performance, but just as important also compete finally in battery efficency and thus battery life too.

Microsoft Surface Pro 10 is rumored to be announced in June - with both a new Intel chip and a new Qualcom chip as options.

From summer onwards, the usual big OEMs (Lenovo, HP, Dell, Asus etc.) all have Qualcom ARM devices ready to announce too.

Here's some background on the new generation of ARM chips

my next mobile device will either have an Qualcom ARM or AMD chip powering it.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
the new Qualcom chip sounds promising on paper, hopefully it delivers and gives a real option for windows laptop users looking for some efficiency and battery life without sacrificing the performance

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
the new Qualcom chip sounds promising on paper, hopefully it delivers and gives a real option for windows laptop users looking for some efficiency and battery life without sacrificing the performance
The problem is only native apps will be running with the full potential of the chip but all 3rd party apps will be running in emulation which will kill some of the efficiency and performance gains. Until Microsoft can get more 3rd party apps I don't see how viable arm will be. Obviously I think Microsoft is behind it but they also don't want to piss off AMD or Intel. So I think MS is stuck with no where to move and that lack of direction could be enough to kill ARM. Qualcomm has the money to possibly change the dynamics but I jut don't know?

I would love a fully functional windows on arm laptop. I just feel like it is still a ways out but I sure hope I am wrong and these new devices coming up turn the tides.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.