undo erase disk? <500gig external hd>

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jao, Nov 29, 2008.

1. jao macrumors newbie

My ipod was rebooting every 5 secs, so i thought i should erase it with Disk Utilities then restore it from itunes.
    As the ipod was constantly rebooting, on my disks list it kept appearing and disappearing. As i have all my external devices set to the same icon, when of one of the reboots that the ipod disappeared of the list i accidentally clicked my 500gig external hardrive and erased it.
    Unfortunately i have no backup image to restore it from with Disk Utilities.
    I have tried a couple of restore applications, VirtualLab, Disk Salvage, Data Rescue and Boomerang, and the hardrive is practically intact, my problem is that i don't have any spare 350gig <that is the amount of space actually used> to restore the data to, so my question is if there's a way to just undo the erase.
    I'm on Tiger 10.4.1

Another question would be, I have a folder with several thousands of aif and wav files, that when i run any of the restore applications i mentioned are recognized but are not named properly, instead they're numbered.. would there be a way to restore these files with their original names?

Thank you in advance for any attention.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

⌘-Z

Sorry. Saw the title, couldn't resist.

Answer: no. Maybe you could borrow a HD from a friend?

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

promises don't matter it still is not allowed.

If you are able to retrieve the data then just get another HD whether you buy another one or borrow one. You have found the data, therefor to "un erase" the disk you will need another disk. It can not write over what it is reading.

4. jao thread starter macrumors newbie

oops..
    I have missed the "no bumps are allowed" bit under the guidelines!

Any ideas why part of folders structure is all messed and part of the files are not correctly named when found?