Undo Hide menu hack

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Syagrius, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Syagrius macrumors newbie

A while ago i wanted to auto-hide my menu and dock always, but now that i'm annoyed with it, i want to undo what i did to it.

I am on OS X Version 10.5.8

I'm going to sound the idiot but I really don't know what I did to my computer. I googled a few things and tried to download a .plist editor which wouldn't open, so i trashed and deleted it, and then i tried a few others, and then deleted those when they wouldn't work. But after five or six tries my menu and dock would auto-hide when Finder was the active application, which is what I wanted, so i stopped and left it.

Then I decided that I don't like the auto-hide anymore, so I tried to undo the process that the only thing that I did was bang a monkey wrench against the computer until it worked. I did a finder search for stuff ending in .plist, and tried to edit them, and when that didn't work i deleted them hoping that some failsafe would kick in and reset everything back to how it was when i first got it.

Now i have no idea where to even begin, I have no files that end in .plist that I can find.

What I want is to get everything back to the default settings I had before i messed with stuff. I'm worried i really may have done something bad to my computer.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you use MenuBarHider?

I suggest you create and keep a text file that lists all the "customization" you do to your Mac. List any Terminal commands you've entered, plist modifications, plug-ins, add-ons, extensions, etc. This will help not only in situations like you have now, but also in replicating those changes on other computers or sharing those tips with others.

3. Texran macrumors regular

4. Syagrius thread starter macrumors newbie

system preferences/dock doesn't work whereas I deleted something that overrode that process. My question I guess was if there was something that I could do to undo whatever I did to override it.

5. Syagrius thread starter macrumors newbie

and then fix anything else i may have done to mess with my computer in the process.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you can't figure it out, you could do a clean re-install to revert back to an unmodified OS.