Undo jailbreak and preserve game save data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kinson7, Dec 23, 2010.

1. kinson7 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I've been having some issues with my jailbroken iPhone, so I thought it might be a good idea to restore it to a clean state and re-enter the data.

Situation:
    1. jailbroken iphone 3GS using jailbreakme.com method on 4.0.1
    2. Want to upgrade to 4.2 and not jailbreak anymore
    3. I've already purchased the games I wanna keep (PvZ, angry birds etc)
    4. Girlfriend wants to preserve the game save files since she's progressed quite far.

Someone suggested that I could just install the 4.2 update over the current jailbreak situation, would that un-jailbreak the phone? I was actually thinking of following the guide here to restore the original settings:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=603129 but I don't see how that can preserve the game save files.

If it's possible, I'd like to retain my text messages too.

Any help would greatly be welcome. thanks in advance!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you're consistently backing up the iPhone to iTunes then you'll be fine. When you restore it, choose the most recent backup of your iPhone.

3. kinson7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I jailbroke it several months back though, wouldn't the most recent backup be a jailbroken backup?

Restoring it such would still remove the apps and game save files, right?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Restoring will wipe the device but choosing to restore from a backup will restore all your information. Your jailbreak will just be gone.

5. kinson7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense. My situation is this, though:

-I jailbroke it roughly in October.
    -I sync every few days, so I assume iTunes automatically creates backups.
    -I've added new information since I jailbroke, such as new contacts, new calendar entries etc (it's December now).

If I restore to my October file, wouldn't my data from October->December all disappear?

6. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

There's an option in iTunes to "Backup YOUR iPHONE". I think it's in the file menu. Just look around you'll find it quick.

7. kinson7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just right clicked on the iphone and selected "backup my iPhone". Don't see anywhere where I can manage the backups, but iOS 4.2 is downloading now. Hopefully it'll just update to the latest version, remove the jailbreak, and no data will be lost. *prays very hard :eek:

8. kinson7 thread starter macrumors newbie

In the end I just upgraded to iOS 4.2, which removed all the non-official apps (Cydia, Appulous etc). The games didn't work after that, such as Angry Birds etc. They were still on the phone, but couldn't be launched. Deleting and reinstalling those worked. Surprisingly, soundhound kept all the history of searched songs and continued to work (I'd purchased the app).

The funny thing is the app that I didn't need to preserve the data did, and the apps that I wanted to preserve the data didn't, lol.