Undo Jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by foranor, Sep 21, 2010.

1. foranor macrumors regular

Hey folks.

I have a 32GB 3GS with iOS 4.1 8b117 installed.

When I was at 3.1.2 (I believe) I had it jailbroken with the Spirit JB, based on the assumption that restoring a firmware will undo a jailbreak.

However, this seems not to be the case. I have issues with the unit (recognized as new iPhone just about every time I connect to iTunes) and when I recently installed skype, the first start greeted me with "This version of skype only works on unmodified phones." or some such.

Now I'd like to know a way to actually completely undo the jailbreak.

I'd already accept jailbreaking again and using some kind of alternate format-command to wipe -everything- on the phone. I can say with certainty that neither DFU nor restore-mode restoring have helped at all, nor has upgrading to the next iOS version, nor has it helped that I've told my iphone to wipe everything from the device.

Suggestions? Help?

2. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Skype gives that message to everyone after the last update. it will work just fine on your phone.

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Long story short, DFU mode is the only way to completely wipe your phone. Do it, as long as it restores successfully then you're fine.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Settings / General / Reset / Erase All Content and Settings / Erase iPhone. This will take approximately one hour to complete, two hours if you have a 32 GB iPhone. You should probably have the iPhone plugged in while it does this if you are low on battery power.

5. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

As already mentioned Skype gives that message to everyone, jailbroken or not.

6. Kayan macrumors 6502

I know of no one that has done a clean restore that still "suffers" any JB effects.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're going to erase, never do it from your phone; do it via DFU and iTunes. I've seen bad things happen to people who erase JB phones through the phone itself.