Undo Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kosure, Apr 21, 2010.

1. kosure macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a new iMac. I wanted to use migration assistant to transfer everything from my old Powerbook.; but it seemed to not work. So I started transferring my media off of an external harddrive.

I transfered all my video from my external and deleted it to start transferring media from the laptop. I rebooted the computer for software updates. Which is when migration assistant worked copying over all my newly deleted video.

I'd abandoned all hope of getting any of that back until I looked at my free harddrive space. My brand new 500gb drive is down to 170 gb free. Theres no way I'm using that much space unless the media is still here somewhere right?

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

You can use the following free program to scan your disk and see where the big files are all located:

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnidisksweeper/

I don't know if a way of "undoing" a migration, other than deleting the user account from the new computer and starting over again.

3. kosure thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a program called Grand Perspective that does much the same thing. It only shows what was copied over. I've also noticed that some other crappy settings have been transferred and everything's running slower.

What sort of migration software replaces things instead of adding to them?!