Undo typing, what is this??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kevs1, May 29, 2016.

1. kevs1 macrumors regular

I see this annoying thing all time on my iphone, I finally had to post about it. What is this? And it often is accompanied by the weird keyboard or keypad that pops ups, below (blocking 1/2 the apps on home-screen), and it's kind of hard to dismiss it, though it usually goes away. thanks.

2. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks CD, ok I googled and got that feature turned off. They should really default it off. Appreciate it. Never even knew what it meant. Totally non intuitive.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I agree.

Not a feature I've used either and so turned it off as I commute by bus and was finding if my phone slightly shook i got this :(

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Oh, is that what that stupid annoying thing is? Why would I want to vigorously shake my phone and press a button as well when I can just press undo?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Some find it not so useful, others find it fairly useful when they need it, and others still don't even know about it and/or don't really care.
    --- Post Merged, May 30, 2016 ---
    Press undo where?

6. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, where is undo? I know undo on desktop command z. I was not even aware what is was asking or why...

7. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

It's above the keyboard. If you can't see it, expand the panel - there's a little white bar the same as splitscreen mode.

8. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

9. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

Your keyboard should look like this if you pull up the top middle.

Attached Files:

10. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Live, nothing happens when I pull from top middle, so this is the rare case I may need a video!

Everything looks same but I don't have those side characters on the top side or the white line.

11. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

I just tried my iPhone and it doesn't have undo (or splitscreen). Sorry! I don't type much on my phone.

So the issue for me is why is this on by default on the iPad where there is an undo button. Shaking an iPad is no mean feat, though I still get that annoying prompt. Thanks to this thread, I've disabled it.

And why is there no undo on the default iPhone keyboard?

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's on the landscape keyboard on the bigger phones. There's no room for it on the portrait keyboard or predictive bar.

13. kevs1 thread starter macrumors regular

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's not really there for smaller devices and/or for typical portrait orientations. Part of the reason why shake to undo is still there and was there before all that was part of some keyboard layouts (if I recall correctly). Also, as I recall, shake to undo can do undo more than just typing or text-related things.