Undoing an Airport connection

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by qpeter, Mar 9, 2012.

1. qpeter macrumors newbie

This is my first question on this forum. I looked through other threads on this forum and couldn't find anything similar. Here's my situation.

I have an iPhone 4 and I live in an apartment building. One of my neighbors has an Airport or a Time Capsule. I have WiFi through my own router. Periodically, my phone asks me if I want to connect to my neighbors Airport. (I guess my first question should have been how do I get it to stop asking me this). Anyway, I normally just hit cancel, but one day I accidentally hit "join". Now my iPhone prefers to connect to the airport over my router. The result is that the airport (which I don't have any security access to) blocks my own WiFi. The result is that I cannot use any data on my phone in my apartment without manually going to settings every time I want to use data and selecting my network.

I've tried for the past few days to find some way to disable this. I know how to "forget a network" on the iphone, but the airport connection is in a separate area and I can't seem to figure out how to block this. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Forgetting the network (as you wrote) IS the way to stop it from automatically joining that network. As far it asking you to connect to that network, that shouldn’t be happening, unless your phone is losing the connection to your router. You could also click on OFF to “Ask to Join Networks."