Uneasy about buying a new Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ralzaider, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Ralzaider macrumors newbie

TLDR: Is there any proof that new LATE-2008 mac pro's emit benzene, and should I be so uptight and worried about purchasing one?

Hey guys,

I've had a G3 mac for about 10-12 years now, and now it's really showing it's age. Since I began playing World of Warcraft a few years back, I've tried upgrading it in anyway possible, but the computer itself is really slow and below average nowadays, even with the upgrades, to say the least. Along with the upcoming expansion pack for the game, my computer no longer meets the minimum system requirements any more.

I've been thinking for quite some time now about purchasing a new desktop computer and have ended up deciding on either a Mac Pro or a HP Blackbird. I'm looking for a computer for a casual gamer and one that I would be able to keep for about 5-10 years to help carry me through college and university. I really love the OSX operating system, and it would be a real shame to jump over to... Vista :mad:.

My only concern is that I've been reading up a lot lately on the Mac Pro, and I've stumbled across quite a few articles about the new Mac Pro's emitting benzene. I've done quite a bit of research on this topic now, but I'm still very uneasy and unconvinced. This is a major concern to me, as I really don't want to develop a fatal illness because I purchased a brand new, top of the line computer. Is there any proof that new LATE-2008 Mac Pro's emit benzene, and should I be so uptight and worried about purchasing one?

Thanks in advance,
    Ralzaider

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No there isn't. However if you are looking for a system to last you that long you may want to wait for the new ones which should be shipping sometime in the first quarter of 2009. I realise you may not be able to wait any longer though and by the sounds of it a single quad core 2008 Mac Pro (consider a refurb) would probably be fine for you.

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

no benzene problem. However, if you're looking for a gaming machine, it's much better for you to build one yourself. Mac Pros aren't really gaming machines. Sure you could use them for it, but not if you want to get the most bang for the buck.

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I was worried about that too. Some of the 2007 machines had a bad smell issue and one of them supposedly tested positive for Benzene and some other chemicals. I recently got a 2008 refurb and it did have a slight electronic smell for the first week but that's disappeared.

The 2009 models should be even better and cleaner (more green). But might be more expensive.

5. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

Take a look at the imac if you concerned about the mac pro emitting benzene. I know my imac is great for gaming =)