Unethical to sell Unlimited DATA SIM for Ipad???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by duffer6, Mar 7, 2011.

1. duffer6, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

duffer6 macrumors 6502

Sold my Wifi/3G (64GB) w/ Apple Case. I only got $500 which bums the heck out of me. I know I could have held out for more but a bird in the hand.... When the buyer found out I had a unlimited data plan he offered me another $100 for the SIM card. My intention was to cancel the unlimited plan due to lack of use and just buy a WIFI model.

My question is I thought the SIMS were transferable between the same owner if they upgraded or changed to another IPAD not from one customer to another.

Doesn't the reselling of the Sim seem kind of sketchy to say the least. I declined the offer and canceled the plan and tossed the SIM. Did I just throw away $100 or did I do the right thing?

I would think AT&T would cancel the unlimited plan associated with my account if the account user name (me) changed along with billing info to the new user (not me)?

Ethically I could have sold the SIM but he may have been reverted back to the traditional capped plan due to the AT&T rules of use.

Thoughts?

2. snow blind macrumors regular

You did the right thing. It's tied to your account, not sim.

3. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Once used, the SIM is tied to your account anyway. It's not like he could have used the SIM and signed up for a new account with any plan, let alone unlimited. The only way to get a new account setup is to get a new SIM card.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The plan is tied to your account, not your sim so its irrelevant, not unethical.

5. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Ethics aside i think the poster above is correct. The plan is tied to your account so even if you'd given the buyer the sim you would have had to have left your plan activated on that iPad. I suppose you could've swapped your credit card info out and replaced it with his/hers, but then i believe you'd have access to use that credit card to do stuff in your account like buy songs and apps :)

So it may not be practical, ethics aside.

Practicalities aside, if it were doable I totally would have done it. But that's just me.

EDIT: btw i think you did okay at $500, depending on the cost of your case. $500 seems to be the going rate last i checked for the 64gb 3G model which is what i use.

6. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

You can transfer unlimited plans with a transfer of liability. Every carrier allows this.

7. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was the Apple case $39 retail. Which I actually like other than how dirty it could get. And now I will be shelling out another $39 - $69 for the new "Cover." Apple might as well just have my credit card on file and ship me the new products as the come. We Apple fans are a crazy bunch don't ya think. HA!!!

8. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Completely! I've most recently made the dubious decision that selling our used apple stuff isn't worth it (whatever that means) and that we are better off just retiring stuff down the line of our family. Which is i supposed why we have 8 iOS devices in a family of 4. With no fewer than two iPad 2's on the way. Yikes. Maybe i should rethink this strategy...

9. Jcoz macrumors 6502

I dont know that ATT would have allowed this for a discontinued unlimited plan, BUT, transferring the billing responsibility for a line is easy and perfectly acceptable by att.

You can transfer any line of service at any time to a different party.

10. celo48 macrumors 6502a

You did not lose $100, relax :) You did the right thing. I am sure there are ways of doing it but you probably would have a headache.

11. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anthony. I feel your pain but I guess in our little way were are stimulating the economy. Yeah that is it we are stimulating the economy. My wife just shakes her head. If it was up to her she would be fine with a 1st generation Apple product that was released years ago but "still works." Who needs that kind of rational thinking. LOL.

Richard

12. jreuschl macrumors 6502

This has been done before on eBay. Generally you would get a prepaid credit card that would cover one month of service and change your account to that card. Profit on eBay on the accounts are pretty good, hundreds of $$.

13. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reaffirmation. :D:D:D

14. celo48 macrumors 6502a

You are welcome :) Most of us need that sometimes :D