Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommi80

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
Hi,

I went through three 11” iPad pros and all of them, including the devices in my apple store, have some kind of uneven backlight.
When scrolling text on white background to the corners you can clearly see that two of the four corners are visibly darker than the rest of the screen.

I think this is really annoying. So I tend to keep my 10,5”.

IMHO the 10,5” ipp has better whites, better viewing angles and a better backlight.

Tom

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Mine seems fine viewed head on, and I'm extremely picky with screens.

Like all screens, it does have a slight shift when viewed on an angle, which is more apparent because of the screen size.

Mine also seems to have no light bleed whatsoever, and that's a welcome change from prior iPads I've owned.

Reactions: tommi80

tommi80

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008

Like all screens, it does have a slight shift when viewed on an angle, which is more apparent because of the screen size.

Mine also seems to have no light bleed whatsoever, and that's a welcome change from prior iPads I've owned.

Do you have the 11” or the 12.9”?

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
Yeah its bothering me a lot. The screen brightness is pretty dim over all compared to my previous 10.5. There is a dim band on the top too. At first I shrugged if off but the variation is bothering me a lot. I’m not typically bothered by this sort of thing but considering the price I’m considering returning it.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I had this same issue when I picked up mine on 11/8/18. The shift was very prominent and one of the corners were a bit darker like mentioned in this thread. Definitely annoying. Ended up returning it 2 days after. Might consider trying again in couple of days but different storage size of course.

Moshio

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2018
I actually signed up for this forum as I have the same issue. I have been through two now and both have the same issue. Was it in the same place for all three returns? The most visible one for me on both was in the top right corner in landscape mode (with the charger port on the right).

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
It’s not even the uneven edges that bothers me though, it’s just the overall brightness isn’t bright enough. Like I feel like it’s not bright enough to cut through finger smudges.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I’ve noticed that these screens also have bad off axis angle, so it looks like its going dark in corners until i adjust my head a bit. The screen is honestly pretty bad. I’ve gone to the store to make sure they all look like this and mine isn’t defective. I’m really unclear how this wasn’t mentioned in reviews. Like i’m Looking at mine right now and the finger smudges are driving me crazy when i scroll and I’ve never noticed them before.

tommi80

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2008
There are reviews out that mention that the screen is brighter in the center and darker in the corners.

IMHO the 2018 screens are not as good as the screen on my 10.5 ipp and not worth the money.

I wonder why there are so little complaints about it.

Reactions: anthony13

derdante

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
My 2017 cheapo iPad had a more even backlighting than my 11 inch Pro. That's no good imo.
I switched to a 12.9 inch and will see if it is improved at all when it arrives.
Got my iPad 12.9 inch and while the backlight is not perfectly even, the darker corners are way less obvious. Especially the top right corner, which was more of a dark area on my 11 inch now is just darkness a little along the edge.
No idea if this is down to device size or just build variance though.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
No idea if this is down to device size or just build variance though.

I don't own a 12.9", but it may be some of both based on my experience with the 11". The one I bought last week was pretty bad: poor contrast, uneven backlight, off-axis shifting, and flashlighting that left a little gray smudge near the bottom in landscape on light backgrounds. Not sure if it was the contrast or something else, but it felt uncomfortable to look at for any length of time unless there was a black background.

I bought a second one (same model, different store) and it's much better. No flashlighting, better contrast, and the backlight is more even. I now understand why reviews had positive things to say about the screen.

Still not perfect though: my new one and both 11" display units that I saw also had off-axis shifting and slightly dimmer corners. So those flaws may be more consistent, possibly due in part to the new screen size. But the good certainly outweighs the bad. This one is a keeper for sure and the first one goes back tomorrow.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I got the 11 Inch one yesterday. Def looks darker in the corners but not enough to drive me mad and I’m OCD about screens. I’m coming from an air 2 which had worse issues with the screen being even.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

My 11” iPad Pro seems perfectly fine here and I am very picky about displays and screen uniformity.
I think it’s like an older IPS Display needs to warm up to get to full brightness, or not
But mine has No edge dimming and I have an 11” Pro WiFi 64GB model bought 1 Day one Serial Numer starts with DM
And the lighting is spot on even.
Just run an all Grey full screen image.

mdjasrie

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2009
Singapore
I do notice very slight uniformity issues on my iPad Pro as well a specially at the edges, but it isn’t enough for me to ask for an exchange. It’s barely perceptible unless I maxed out the brightness and scrolling through websites with a high degree of white background, away from sunlight. I’d say it doesn’t affect my viewing experience whatsoever. I have seen worse on lower quality T.V.s and those LCDs are large which is totally expected.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My 11” screen is slightly brighter on the left side compared to the right in portrait mode. It’s more noticeable on all grey screens typically in the lower left corner.

Reactions: everygrainofsand
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.