Uneven backlight on the lower edge

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Tigro, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Tigro macrumors newbie

I'm a proud new owner of the 2013 MBA and I'm simply loving the maching but one observation added a bit of disappointment to the overall experience. Namely, on the brighter images, I see a slight darker line along the bottom of the screen. It's not a perfect line, rather a bumpy one - it's really small and mostly hard to notice (and definitely not noticable at all if you're not on a white or similar background) but it's there. Looks like an uneven backlight to me. Is it some well-known issue with the MBA displays just like the blue-ish tint happened with retinas on iPad 4's or it should be absolutely perfectly white from end to end and I should go get a replacement?

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Pics would help, but it sounds normal - the backlighting is a bit uneven along the bottom edge on every one of dozens of Airs I've seen over 2010 - 2013.

3. teffers macrumors regular

I went through 4x units before getting my 5th (for various little faults) and ALL of them had the bottom of the screen darker backlight gradient unfortunately.

Read lots to suggest you're right, it's just how the MBAs are.

4. Tigro thread starter macrumors newbie

Regretfully it's quite hard to capture on a picture as the camera itself creates more of the shadow effect than it actually looks like :)

I'll try to go to the store and look carefully through some units and see if it's there, too. Maybe it's just as you say, that's simply how MBAs are.