Uneven brightness on Newest 15" Retina Mac Book Pro founded

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pproart, Nov 10, 2013.

1. pproart macrumors newbie

Does anyone bought the newest 15" Retina Mac Book Pro and found the screen is in uneven brightness?
    When I set the wall paper to solid medium gray color (which is the 1st color on the second role in the Desktop setting thr the system preference), I can see there is uneven brightness within the screen. There is some thick darker gray line aross the screen (you may stare at your screen and move your notebook to different angles, then you will see it easily). I went to the local Apple store and tried out the display over there, I tried out three, and they all has the same problem, only the uneven area is different. The Genius in the Apple store also see the same thing I mentioned, so that's only me to see it, me, my wife and the guy in the store also see it.

2. pproart thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad that you ask me to post the photos, which I never though about it. Since I took the photos, I found it's even easier to see the unevenness. I increase the contrast of the photos a bit, so you will easily see it. There is one picture I took together with my other monitor at the back (which you will see it's normal and even gray wall paper), but mac book pro has a serious unevenness.

Attached Files:

• mbp1.jpg
      mbp1.jpg
      File size:
      654.8 KB
      Views:
    • mbp2.jpg
      mbp2.jpg
      File size:
      816.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

A lot of us are having problems with these screens. The bottom half is always the problematic part. Some of us have yellowing in the corners some the entire bottom half is yellow. This may be caused by uneven back lighting.

See thread here with many other photos: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1660649

My advice: Return it for another one.

4. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Is it like this when you first start using it that day, or did you only notice after it had been on a while?

Because Apple has the exhaust directly underneath the screen, MacBooks tend to look uneven after a while if you're using them for demanding tasks.

5. pproart thread starter macrumors newbie

I found it right after I turn it on. I receive it for just 1 week.

6. yuri.my macrumors newbie

Sam here

Same here. I don't think everybody can notice though, but I definitely can. I am on my second machine and honestly, the second one is worse than the first one, so I am booking another genius appointment. I wonder if there's laptop without these problems. Apart from uneven brightness, my screen also shows some lines and darker spots, so it becomes more apparent.

Attached Files:

7. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Same

I'm finally taking it to a Genius this evening for advice... Trying to decide whether I would be better off returning the computer, or merely requesting a replacement for the display, since the rest of the computer is working flawlessly.

8. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

9. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

So, I have an LG screen and have NO issues...

am I lucky?

10. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

I was among those who believed that the posters here with bad displays were simply UNLUCKY, but as time wears on it's starting to look like people with good displays are in fact extremely lucky.

Which is a pretty sad comment on the state of of Apple's QC...

11. yuri.my macrumors newbie

How did it work out for you johnnylarue at the Apple store? I don't wanna get another replacement, I think I will just take the laptop to the apple store later and hope for a screen replacement.

12. johnnylarue, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Appointment is in an hour. I'll report back!

Edit: Just got back from my Genius appointment.

The Genius--an affable and genuinely helpful dude--struggled at first to see the issue with my display under the bright lights of the Apple Store. But after taking it to the "infirmary" in the back and showing it to the technicians, they all agreed it was definitely "at the far end of what Apple normally considers an acceptable variance in brightness" and that it was worth replacing.

Nice to get confirmation from an Apple tech that I wasn't being entirely crazy/neurotic about this issue!

So I'll be taking my 5-day-old computer in for surgery on Friday.

My logic is as follows: if a tech acknowledges this issue and sees what my current display looks like (and what my standards for a "good" display are), he'll make doubly sure that I don't wind up with a worse display. Hope I'm right.

And in any case, the Genius reassured me that I would still be able to return the MBP for an exchange or refund if the screen replacement proved unsatisfactory. And if it comes to that, at least I'll have a better argument for having my replacement computer "checked out" at the factory before it's shipped to me. (I genuinely hope it doesn't come to that, though.)

To be continued...

13. yuri.my macrumors newbie

Fingers crossed, my appointments is next Wednesday.