Uneven Closure of MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yipster222, Nov 28, 2007.

1. yipster222 macrumors member

I just notice my MBP is uneven when I close the MBP.

I can stick like 2 credit cards through it. The right side is perfectly flush.
    I think the left side has warpped by 1/8 of an inch. Has anyone encounter this problem??

Thanks

2. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

yup, same thing here...

but you really only notice when you are looking for it (at least for me)

3. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Same with me, slightly less pronounced. I don't mind it too much.

4. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

same with me. its effing gay and sloppy on apples part.

5. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I find this is really common with MBP's. A couple of my friends, the two I've used and many I've seen at the Apple Store has this problem.

6. bov macrumors 6502

yea im pretty sure all MBPs are like this. neither my left or right side are flush with the middle

7. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

I'm guessing it might have something to do with the aluminum case. I've noticed mine has some give to it, not much, but enough to probably offset things if you move it around a lot. I keep mine pretty stationary.

As to the problem, I don't really think mine is off at all.

8. yipster222 thread starter macrumors member

do you think Apple will take it back and send a new one.

9. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

If its under warranty I would give them a call or take it to an Apple store so they can actually see it. That seems like a pretty noticeable gap...I can't imagine they would just ignore it.

10. Architect4122 macrumors regular

I have it slightly too. I think its inevitable for it happen to some degree. Something that thin, and of that dimension...once you add the torque of the hinge, and the fact that people don't open or close from the center, but usually form the corner....its going to happen.

You see this is PC laptops as well. While it won't show itself as an uneven close, you'll notice that it becomes flimsy quickly.

11. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I actually ALWAYS open from the center. I actually touch my isight camera almost all the time, which i know probably isnt good for it lol. but thats where i open it, my thumb touches it.
    I think the flaw is actually because of where the closing hooks are, there are 2 on either side of the ISIGHT. If they were further out, i wonder if there would be that problem?

edit: even if it is the metal casing, then thats kind of unfixable until they actually fix the casing. But if the hooks were further apart, then at least it would HOLD it down, even if it wanted to separate a little.

12. Architect4122 macrumors regular

Right.

There are actually two vertical supports within the lid. The lid has its normal grid system for structural support, then (when open, there is the rubber part of the hinge and the two metal parts on the left and right) at about those metal parts run the two vertical pieces.*Some hinges are so tight you can see a slight bulge of these supports on the outside lid and sometimes you can slightly feel them when softly running your hand across the top.

So you have those two important structural members, and as mentioned, between them the lock, so you have a system of forces that naturally cause the lid to warp (if you will) like it does.

On a side note, I don't know, but from seeing inside pics, I think to space the locks further apart creates all new problems of locating the pieces to unlatch it when opening.

Solution? Magnetic latch like MacBook.

13. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

This is a very common thing with the MBP. It did drive me crazy at first but I learned to overlook it and just enjoy my MBP.