Uneven color on glossy LED screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powerocool, Jun 6, 2007.

1. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

For those who got their new LED MBP:

Does anybody notice that the top half of the screen displays the correct color while the bottom half has a little yellowish tint. This does not happen on my 1st gen. MBP.

To test, make a screen shot of your dock icons using "Apple + Shift + 4" keys. Then open the file up and move it to the middle or top of the screen. Do you see a difference in color? I'm not talking about darkness as I understand it's normal to have a little difference in brightness from top to bottom on laptop screens.

2. PDE macrumors 68020

I hope this is not the beginning of a general problem....so everybody who doesn't have this issue please step forward quickly!

3. mattpeckham macrumors newbie

Not on mine, nope. I do notice that sense of gray or yellow tint you refer to--and it's highly subjective--has everything to do with the angle you're viewing the screen from. It's impossible to look at the entire screen simultaneously straight on, and as you move your eyes/head around, that sense of yellow-gray tinting changes.

The bottom of my screen seems a fraction brighter than the top, but I wonder if your eyes might not be mistranslating that brightness as "yellowish" tint.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

So, in other words, viewing angles have not improved at all? As for yellowishness, have you calibrated or are you using the default ColorLCD profile?

5. Kasper Winding macrumors member

6. powerocool thread starter macrumors 6502

powerocool

I have the glossy one.

Hmm, a little odd mine is somehow a little darker half way to the bottom. That's where it has the tint. All my other laptops have image appear a little darker on top and lighter on the bottom.

Ok, it might be just mine. I guess I'll just take a look at the ones in store once they have them on display.

7. jimtkm macrumors newbie

Is yours a LED screen then? The new SR MBP? :confused:

8. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I'm surprised iW00t hasn't responded to this thread yet. :p

9. mags631 Guest

Title of thread: Uneven color on glossy LED screen

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That's what you get with glossy screens. I couldn't stand it on the MacBook.

Matte4Life!

11. jimtkm macrumors newbie

That mean OP got his brand new BTO SR MBP already???

12. jsbarone macrumors regular

My local Apple store has Glossy 15 2.4's in stock. I bought online because I thought it was BTO only, but they've got 'em.

13. jimtkm macrumors newbie

:eek: That's fast!!!

14. Zadillo macrumors 65816

For what it's worth, when I went to my local Apple Store to check out the new MBP's, I looked for this issue. They only had a matte screen one though, but I can say at least the matte version didn't exhibit this issue.

15. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

Viewing angels according to LG is 120/110 degrees.. So very likely that the weird colors come from that.

16. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

My MacBook Pro is still in the process of being BTOed, if it turns out to be another lemon I will squeal, seriously. Against better judgement I ordered it without waiting for early reports :rolleyes: