Uneven font in OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Mar 30, 2011.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I'm using OS X 10.6.7 and I've noticed that the fonts look annoyingly uneven, especially when looking at them on an external monitor (Dell U2311H in my case). Some of the letters look thinner than others, while those others appear bolder, which is pretty frustrating.

For example:

1. Let's say I wrote lots of l-s in a row, as in llllllllllll - some of them will look really thin, others however, will look kind of bolder/thicker and messy. The way the above l-s appear for me right now is the 1st l looks really thin, the 2nd and 3rd are bolder, the 4th is thin again, etc.

2. Another example is the word Hip-Hop in iTunes - the 1st "H" in Hip appears real thin, while the "H" in Hop looks uglier - sort of bold/messy.

Is there a fix for this at all? For some reason I have a feeling that this has been specifically the case lately (perhaps after updating to 10.6.7?), and not so apparent when I first bought my external monitor (I could be wrong). Well, to be honest, I've noticed slight unevenness in fonts on my MBP's monitor before, but it's obviously not as apparent as on my external monitor.

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

The first thing I would check is to make sure your screen resolution perfectly matches your monitor. I'm assuming a Dell U2311H is a 23" LCD, probably 1920x1080 resolution.

Second, I would make sure I'm connecting via DVI, not VGA. If DVI is not available on your computer, do the "auto adjust" feature of your monitor.

If those things don't work, check and see if non-font graphics are getting messed up. Try displaying a perfect circle on the screen and see if there are jaggies in the circle:

http://www.teach-nology.com/worksheets/early_childhood/shapes/circle.gif

Finally, if all those things aren't behaving, try booting from your Mac OS X disc and see if the problem are still there. If so, report your findings!

-Aaron-

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am on 1920x1080 and I'm using the DVI connection for my monitor.

As for the link, some parts of it appear ok, others do have slight jaggies. Some parts even look slightly blurred.....