Uneven Glass on new iPad 2. Normal?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Tawler, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Tawler macrumors newbie

Hi. Obviously I'm new here, so I apologize if this has been mentioned. I did a search but maybe it was a crappy search?

So I just bought this iPad 2 and it's awesome. But I have some concerns that maybe are just me being paranoid.

The glass pane, or where the black bezel begins, seems to bulge out a little more along certain parts of the rim of my iPad. And yeah, there is a bit of light bleeding on this unit too. It's not unbearable but adds to the irritation.

Here's a pic. I know it's a bit blurry, but you can see the black become more pronounced as you look to the right side of the unit, and then start to go down a bit toward the far edge.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5813/img2691c.jpg

I don't know, is that just a busy spot with the connector port and the speaker there so it's bound to bulge a bit? What does yours look like? Basically I wonder if I should take this thing to the Apple store.

2. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

take it back. bulges and unevening finishing is never normal.

it might not affect the operational capabilities of the tablet, but it's definitely not intended to be that way.

3. patrickj macrumors regular

^^^ Yes, what he said. Definitely defective and Apple should have no qualms at all about exchanging it.

4. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

They are basically all like that.

In the teardown you'll notice there is a part under that exact area that causes the bulge.

out of the 4 ipad 2's i've gone through 3 of them actually had glass separating at that part, including my current one.

If it becomes an issue i'll return it. For now I'll deal with it.. if later i feel compelled to return I will.

5. Tawler, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

Tawler thread starter macrumors newbie

Just curious but did you return your iPad because of the bulge?

Also, that's not the only corner with a bulge on my unit. The side opposite the volume rocker and mute switch is also pretty big.

6. 126351 Guest

Curious as to why you'd accept it as it is?

Both my iPad's were like that and both went back. I figured at some point debris will starting getting into the split and the gap would open anyway; glue seams don't fill me with confidence, especially when it is already 'fractured'.