Uneven iPad screen...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kingofthehill2, Oct 30, 2010.

1. kingofthehill2 macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have just bought a 16GB iPad 3G and having had a look at it, the screen seems to be uneven at the top right hand corner where it is marginally higher than around the rest of the bezel.

Is this a common problem?

Thank you

2. prot0type macrumors regular

First time I've heard of this.

If it's that noticeable, I'd exchange it for another one.

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

No, I would not say it's a common problem, as I'm sure it's intended to be a perfect rectangle. Post a picture of it. Maybe your mind is playing a trick on you.

And yes, like prot0type says, if it really is higher like you say, then take it back and replace it if it bothers you. I don't know if it would be the cause of any malfunctions, but if you're not happy with it, exchange it.

4. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I think you may be experiencing an optical illusion. I often am tricked by this illusion when looking at the screen of my iPhone. I don't know what causes it to appear this way, but the screen often looks uneven at the top and bottom.

I don't notice it as much with my iPad, though I have noticed it on occasion.

5. USGIshimura macrumors member

Take it to the Genius Bar. They'll take care of you. Mine was replaced for the same issue.

You could also return it for another. Your choice.

6. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

My old iPhone 3GS had the same problem. I believe you. Return it.

7. kingofthehill2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all.
    I will take it in to the Apple Store today and show it to the staff.
    I will let you know what happens.
    Thanks.

8. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I think I had an 'A-Ha' moment - are you referring to how the screen sits within the black bezel? The thin black line you see between a full-screen image and the black glass edge?

If it bugs you, I'd say take it in. Like everyone says, worst they can tell you is "no".

Sometimes, I think mine is uneven, other times, I could really care less. It bugs me when I really look at it, but holding it, it's never 100% straight in my hand anyway, so it's sort of a non-issue.

*Anyone notice how Steve basically coined the term "non-issue".

9. kingofthehill2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi.

I took the iPad to the Apple Store today.

Looking at other display models it is clear that the screen is mis-aligned/fitted.
    The rubber seal that sits between the black glass bezel and the aluminium frame is raised and as such the glass itself is higher than it should be.

Sadly they were unable to arrange a retail box swap around as the item was purchased in an airport abroad from an Apple Premium Reseller. The Apple Genius did say that I should get it swapped though as it may lead to problems with condensation etc.

I will contact the Apple Premium Reseller and see if they can somehow arrange a retail swap.

Aside from that can anyone advise if Apple have to do the retail swap at any store? Is there any text that I can show the store team?

Thanks

10. kingofthehill2 thread starter macrumors newbie

:D

11. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Ah, I understand what you're saying now. I would CERTAINLY advise a swap for that one. If that gasket isn't the way it should be, then I'd be worried about moisture and debris for sure.

Regarding a Retail swap, I'd say the only place that could do that is the place you got it from, especially if it had that fairly bad defect right out of the box, sold to you... Unfortunately, Apple won't swap a damaged product for a new one, even if you bought it new, and bring back everything, just to get the same thing.

This is because they sold you New iPad A. New iPad B is on the shelf. If they gave you New iPad B in place, they could now only try to sell iPad A as Used, or turn it into a refurbished model, effectively losing money.

(While I understand that, still, it especially irritated me when I had to give up the iPhone I bought new, for a refurbished one that didn't match the serial number on the box the first one came with.)