Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
Does anyone else have this issue? It seems that it's just the top row, and most apparent on my esc. key. The c on the esc. key is a lot dimmer, and the other icons on the top row seem to be a bit brighter on the bottom half of the icons. My late 2013 retina MBP doesn't have this issue at all, and all keys are evenly lit still today after 7 years of use.

On another note, I received the computer yesterday and have already received 2 spinning ball slowdowns on limited use. One was just creating a password while registering on this website. Odd. Everything else has been great.

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Can you post a pic?
My M1 Air seems just fine. No hardware issues knock on wood.
I would try to exchange ii if you are not happy. The issue is some places do not have stock.

The slow down could be due to your Mac being setup. Lots of things going on in the background. I have experienced no slow downs. Give it a few days to settle in.

tis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
I tried to get it to show up in a picture, but can't. It's apparent in person. I wasn't even nit picking the computer, and immediately noticed it. The whole top row has the issue it seems (bottom of the icons a bit brighter than the top half). The esc. key is just a lot dimmer on the "c".

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
Nothing new here, the current MacBook Air keyboard has LED lighting zones. It's the same industrial design as the 2020 Intel Air and 2019 Intel Air. Previous MacBook Airs also had a keyboard part illuminated by an LED backlight that had relatively few LEDs so there are hot and cold spots.

If you buy an $700 Windows ultrabook, you'll witness the same thing.

And yes, MR commentors have whined about this for years, nothing new. Nobody should be surprised that the M1 Macs from 2020 exhibit many of the shortcomings imposed by the previous generation's Intel models; Apple made zero changes to the industrial design.

The fact that Apple moved from Intel to Apple Silicon without an industrial design change was anticipated by the sanest Apple industry observers.

Full-sized desktop keyboards have key mechanisms that are individually backlit so each key has the same brightness.

One can hope that a future version of the MacBook Air will have better keyboard backlighting. More LEDs = more power. All notebook PC manufacturers have to decide how worthwhile an evenly lit keyboard is worth.

If that's a showstopper for you, send your M1 MBA back and wait a year or two.

Will Apple pick a new part that has a few more LEDs for more even coverage? Maybe they will, maybe they won't. It's not just power considerations, there's also size, weight, cost, heat, gross margins, etc.

My guess is that right now, somewhere in a lab in Cupertino, there's a future MacBook Air design that has a brighter, more evenly lit keyboard. There's probably a prototype that has a keyboard backlit similar to the current one. It's anyone's guess which one Apple will bring to market.

One thing for sure, they won't erode gross margins by loading up on a lot of expensive power-sucking parts simply to appease a handful of Q&A forum whiners, um, I mean "enthusiasts."

Last edited:

tis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
Nothing new here, the current MacBook Air keyboard has LED lighting zones. It's the same industrial design as the 2020 Intel Air and 2019 Intel Air. Previous MacBook Airs also had a keyboard part illuminated by an LED backlight that had relatively few LEDs so there are hot and cold spots.

If you buy an $700 Windows ultrabook, you'll witness the same thing.

And yes, MR commentors have whined about this for years, nothing new. Nobody should be surprised that the M1 Macs from 2020 exhibit many of the shortcomings imposed by the previous generation's Intel models; Apple made zero changes to the industrial design.

The fact that Apple moved from Intel to Apple Silicon without an industrial design change was anticipated by the sanest Apple industry observers.

Full-sized desktop keyboards have key mechanisms that are individually backlit so each key has the same brightness.

One can hope that a future version of the MacBook Air will have better keyboard backlighting. More LEDs = more power. All notebook PC manufacturers have to decide how worthwhile an evenly lit keyboard is worth.

If that's a showstopper for you, send your M1 MBA back and wait a year or two.

Will Apple pick a new part that has a few more LEDs for more even coverage? Maybe they will, maybe they won't. It's not just power considerations, there's also size, weight, cost, heat, gross margins, etc.

My guess is that right now, somewhere in a lab in Cupertino, there's a future MacBook Air design that has a brighter, more evenly lit keyboard. There's probably a prototype that has a keyboard backlit similar to the current one. It's anyone's guess which one Apple will bring to market.

One thing for sure, they won't erode gross margins by loading up on a lot of expensive power-sucking parts simply to appease a handful of Q&A forum whiners, um, I mean "enthusiasts."

Wow. I signed up for this forum not even 24 hours ago, and I already get called a whiner by someone who’s clearly passive aggressive.

If what you are saying is true, then I’d have at least one person responding to this thread claiming to have the same issue, but I haven’t. I also can’t find evidence of this being an issue in the past, as you state. Evidence seems to suggest my Air is faulty and not normal as you claim.

Reactions: usagora

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I received my M1 Air on Monday, and have had zero issues since then. No spinning balls. No dim keys. No nothing. Works perfect.

Reactions: tis

jay-m

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2019
You are not alone, my Air also has uneven keyboard backlighting, especially visible on Esc key and whole system freezes for 10 seconds every time Safari asks to save a new password. And everything else has been pretty good.

Reactions: tis

Joe6598

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2021
Hey there, on my new MacBook Air its A, S and D. Where light shines through pretty good. Still not sure, if I will take it as it is or send it back. @tis what did you do about it?

Attachments

• signal-2021-03-05-213453.jpeg
    signal-2021-03-05-213453.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 976

drdudj

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2021
Oregon
tis, don't think Erehy was calling you a whiner (or was he?) but rather saying that "they" at apple would consider forum posters who complain about minimal negative issues whiners, when in fact all of us would like to be considered "enthusiasts." smile, it's all good!

tis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2020
Hey there, on my new MacBook Air its A, S and D. Where light shines through pretty good. Still not sure, if I will take it as it is or send it back. @tis what did you do about it?

I’ve had my hands on 4 different units since their release, and they’ve all had some form of uneven backlighting. All of them had the uneven ESC key. All of them had various other uneven backlighting issues.

In the end, I decided to return the MBA and wait for the larger MBP’s coming later this year. I just couldn’t deal with the smaller screen size after using a 15-16” MBP for the past decade. It felt like a compromise every time I used the MBA.

drdudj

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2021
Oregon
the advancement in technology, "lighted key pads"....how did we ever get along without them? kind of reminds me of "back in the day" when we had to get up and walk over to the tv to turn the channel. how did we ever live without the remote!!! I guess there's more people out there that hunt and peck than I thought..lol

Joe6598

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2021
I’ve had my hands on 4 different units since their release, and they’ve all had some form of uneven backlighting. All of them had the uneven ESC key. All of them had various other uneven backlighting issues.

Hey @tis, thanks for this info! So, this makes me pretty confident, that its almost impossible to get a perfect keyboard and I shall live with the one I got ? But it still kind of annoys me.

Reactions: Ajmartinuk

Ajmartinuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2019
Does anyone else have this issue? It seems that it's just the top row, and most apparent on my esc. key. The c on the esc. key is a lot dimmer, and the other icons on the top row seem to be a bit brighter on the bottom half of the icons. My late 2013 retina MBP doesn't have this issue at all, and all keys are evenly lit still today after 7 years of use.

On another note, I received the computer yesterday and have already received 2 spinning ball slowdowns on limited use. One was just creating a password while registering on this website. Odd. Everything else has been great.
So glad I found this - been bugging me since I got the M1 air - first post I found with the same issue! The c on esc is one of those things you can’t under when you notice! My wife thinks I’m nuts though...!

amblingalp

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
I am very glad I've found people that won't think I'm crazy. I just noticed the dimly lit -c in the esc key and my very real OCD went haywire. I can't unsee it, but at least I know it's not in my head/a problem I should fix. (Also why would I, I was fine for weeks, but now I was obsessed)

Ajmartinuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2019
I am very glad I've found people that won't think I'm crazy. I just noticed the dimly lit -c in the esc key and my very real OCD went haywire. I can't unsee it, but at least I know it's not in my head/a problem I should fix. (Also why would I, I was fine for weeks, but now I was obsessed)
You’re not crazy! When I noticed it I could t go to an Apple store to check it was normal cos of lockdown and cos of stock shortages when I spoke to Apple they couldn’t do a replacement for weeks so I left it. It still bugs the hell out of me- I thought about getting a black keyboard skin but because Apple changed the hot keys on the function row none of them match the latest one either. OCD nightmare!

Ajmartinuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2019
Hard to see on the photo (it’s so hard to get a picture that does the issue justice). Where is it on your pro?

ausomecasey

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2021
Stupid same issue here with the "c" on the Escape key...I'm ok with it if this is normal, but I also don't mind trying to get replacement if this is not normal...

Ipadfever

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
You don't look at your keyboard 99% of the time, believe me I am pretty picky myself especially when it comes to screen issues! My "c" on esc is faded and I am definitely not going to exchange and start any other lottery associated with this M1. My screen is great and that is all that matters.

Reactions: VaruLV

GSWForever8

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2021
I have it too, but it’s not bothering me at all. If you’re really concerned, return it or get it repaired by Apple and call it a “defect.”

enkiera

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
I have an M1 Air and also have a few keys with differences in brightness. Best way of showing them it to reduce the exposure on camera. My cmd, 2 arrow keys and option keys have it (plus the c in esc which seems most common!)
IMG_0740.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Don't have my M1 MBA with me now to check, but I honestly rarely use the key backlighting - I find that even in a dark room, the illumination from the display is sufficient. Is this a functional issue for you that's causing difficulty using the keyboard or is it just a matter of how it looks (and there's nothing wrong with that...just wondering)?

enkiera

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
Don't have my M1 MBA with me now to check, but I honestly rarely use the key backlighting - I find that even in a dark room, the illumination from the display is sufficient. Is this a functional issue for you that's causing difficulty using the keyboard or is it just a matter of how it looks (and there's nothing wrong with that...just wondering)?
For me it’s purely cosmetic. I have no issues hardware wise or with ease of use, it’s just a mild annoyance. I probably won’t bother addressing it unless it gets any worse.

Reactions: usagora

Spacegray

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
I have an M1 Air and also have a few keys with differences in brightness. Best way of showing them it to reduce the exposure on camera. My cmd, 2 arrow keys and option keys have it (plus the c in esc which seems most common!)
On my MBA M1 it seems to be ok, except for the "c" in "esc" (I guess you can't see it on the photo).

Attachments

• Keyboard.png
    Keyboard.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 311

Pans Dance

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2022
I noticed a very bright and noticeable spot on my keyboard lighting around the 'M' key. IN reality it is more noticable the on the picture.
Pretty sure this was not there until a few days ago. I have had this notebook for one year now. Is there anyone with enough knowledge about the macbook air keyboard, to tell me if this would be easy to repair or replace the led's
IMG_7564.jpeg
?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.