Uneven Top

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ipodlover77, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Hey guys, i have a quick question. Well i have a white macbook that i had for almot 8 months. I use it for school and home and what not, but today when i closed it i noticed when my lap top is closed, the screen it pushed ever so slightly to the right. I know im picky but when i first got it, when the laptop was closed it would be flush with the bottom half, and be perfectly straight, but now it seems the bottom edge sticks out more than the upper half. This doesn't hinder the screen or anything but it just annoys me (who can blame me, its a 1500 dollar laptop). My question is, does this apply for warranty or will they just tell me to put up with it.

2. joph macrumors newbie

Hey buddy, to my knowledge mostly they will not replace it, until there is any major issue. But different companies may have different warranty policies, so better you can give a try. Good luck.

3. Chozo macrumors member

I have actually noticed the same thing with mine.

Like you, I'm pretty picky about stuff like that but I haven't called AppleCare about it to ask what the deal is with it.

The one fix that seemed to work with me was to push it back even while closed and not to put too much force into it. Mine now is back to the way it was before but I'm pretty sure it's just a temporary fix.

4. dubnew macrumors newbie

I noticed the same issue.

I'd say it has something to do with closing the screen from the corner rather than the middle.

5. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

damn, guess i have to live with this annoyance. So what reasons are there that warrants a replacement from apple?

6. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

hey guys im back. just need to know what you guys think.
    went to the apple store regarding the uneven top, and the genius that i had said he understood and that he would send it out. he did explain that any damage inside would void the warranty. My question is, can the even top happen even without a drop? Im not going to lie, i dropped my macbook (white model) twice. But both was only 2 feet off the ground and was on carpet. There is no damage on the outside and theres nothing in the inside rattling. what do you guys think? will they warranty it?

7. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

if they find something, it won't get fixed. I don't think they will, because this kind of problem is more of a warping issue.

I too had this issue and the apple store genius was a total idiot about it. He gave me the same schpeel they all do: "certain parts don't fit with others".

Sent it off to depot using an applecare box and they gave me a new hinge. Unfortunately it happened again, and they fixed the hinge again. My advice: always call applecare if the genius gives you a hard time.

8. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

thanks for the answer. like i said, i know i dropped it twice (even though it was high and on carpet) but i also know that this happened to people that didnt drop it. im just afraid apple may try to shaft me. I was going into the store ready to purchase the applecare for 280 (or was it 250) but the whole "if they find something wrong that is user caused than it will void the warranty) so that got me nervous. So im sending it out on monday (anyone know how long it takes) and im just nervous that they will get it than send it back to me unfixed and than i would just have went 4 days without a lap top

9. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

If there is no indication of exterior physical damage, it is unlikely that the manufacturer should find anything internally damaged that, beyond reasonable doubt, came from the consumer. My turn around time was about three days being mailed to California. I haven't experienced the uneven top problem as I have an Aluminium MacBook. If you have not tripped the water sensors, you should be fine. In my experience, however minute the issue, the repairmen simply fix what was originally stated on your claim. In this case it should be the entire display or the exterior behind it. For instance, my iPhone began experiencing low battery issues, and long recharge times but no indication could be found using a voltammeter (or whatever they use). I contacted AppleCare as the Genius knew little to my issues. Within three days I had a "new" iPhone at hand, probably because my claim was a battery issue and something not easily proved. Apple does seem to make an effort to accommodate their customers. Everything will turn up right in the end.

Regards,

10. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

thanks for the reply!
    do you think they would also replace the white top casing or just the hinge?

11. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

hahah geez, im nervous.
    i have a 3 mm nick on the outer casing but the genius said that was no big deal. hahhahah im reallll nervous! :eek:

12. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

From an financial standpoint, it would make sense to replace only the lid. From a consumer standpoint, it would be more pleasing should they replace the entire top portion of the unit. I cannot answer the question because I cannot discern the exact issue; not being able to see the unit and all. However, I believe Apple might replace the latter - the display and the hinge - because they go hand-in-hand.

13. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

hmm is there any tests i can do, that would ease my soul? hahah. i shook the laptop when it was closed but i couldnt hear any loose sounds. there shouldnt be a high chance of like a mother board crack or anything right? if it did, it wouldnt be working as perfectly as it is right now correct? sorry for the constant questions, just nervous (like my 10th time saying that hahah)

14. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

There is little evidence to support the theory that you dropped your device; any internal damage would be fixed promptly. As far as tests go, it's hardware so there isn't any software test available. I'd be (and I'm sure others would be!) more than happy to take a look at the machine if you wanted to post pictures, though.

15. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

could you explain what you mean by "any internal damage would be fixed promptly" hahah im a bit tech stupid. but yeah, i'll be happy to post pics. Lemme find my camera. i should be thanking you for being such a help!

16. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

here are the pics.
    i decided to put up the links instead because the pictures are big.
    the pictures are the worst damage i can find (excluding the wear and tear on top of the laptop)

http://i40.tinypic.com/255l845.jpg
    charger symbol shows wear

http://i44.tinypic.com/30kqemx.jpg
    bottom writing also shows wear

http://i41.tinypic.com/288y4bo.jpg
    the top edge (right above the right screw) shows alittle discoloration. kind of like when you wear white shoes under blue jeans and it "dyes"

http://i43.tinypic.com/xm8wfo.jpg
    the little gash

http://i41.tinypic.com/28wl0xx.jpg
    sorry for the bad pic, tried to show how the bottom extends more than the top.

what you guys think?

17. harrishimo macrumors member

hey dude

i have the 13" aluminium macbook and i have the exact same problem!!!
    i took it to the apple store in the city where i live and they explained that its just some screws on the inside that need to be loosened then re-tightened.

They were more than happy to fix mine but they said it would take a couple of days and ive got lots of work to do for 6th for/college. So i ended up leaving it but they said at any time to just bring it in and they'd be more than happy to re-allign it for me!!!

id say take it in and they should do it for ya'

Hope it gets resolved soon!!! :D

18. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

i was hoping they would fix it on the spot but they said they would ship it in for me :( so no laptop for 3-4 days. boo.

edit.
    a new problem came up which somewhat worries me.
    [​IMG]
    there is only one thing i leave on my bedstand, which is a lamp (has a velvet bottom and no visable screws) and my macbook. I was rearranging everything and i noticed these black marks. if you look closely you can see the screw outline also. what you guys think? just regular over heating?

19. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I have an ill-aligned aluminum Macbook as well. Interesting to know that it is something that they would be able to realign. I want to go in to get a RAM upgrade eventually, I will have to ask them to align my top while they are in there.

Thanks for that bit of information. :)

20. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I don't know of any other fix, (as one user explained - the screws) but unless there is, I am positive that the hinge will be replaced if not the entire upper exterior. This is clearly evidenced by your first picture. As for the overheating issue, well, it looks bizarre.

They don't know you dropped it, or that the drop could have caused such damage, so they would fix it.;)

21. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

hey guys, just want to get some help on something. it could be the paranoia talking but im not sure.
    dropped my macbook off at the apple store today. after i gave the guy my macbook, he went into the back. Right after he opened the door i hear a big thud, i look over and see him picking something up (couldnt see clearly what it was). What happens if its my macbook and than my warranty is denied?
    not sure if im being paranoid because when he came back out he didnt tell me he dropped it or anything so im not sure. just want to ready myself for any situation.

22. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

You have photographs of your MacBook. If they cause any significant damage, you have a case against them. I would expect them to be honest and give you a free repair for any damage or a new MacBook.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I personally would have asked the Genius what he/she dropped.