Unexpected shared server appearing in Finder -- what to do?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Darjeeling, May 1, 2010.

1. Darjeeling macrumors newbie

Well, I've never seen this before. I did not (intentionally) connect to this server listed under Shared in the sidebar... so where did it come from and how can I ditch it? Get Info only tells me it's a PC server

My file sharing is turned off, etc. Little Snitch is not flagging any unexpected network activity. I'm very puzzled.

Attached Files:

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Is some one leaching of your network or are you on a different network?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you connected to a network (wired or wireless) that has other computers connected to it?
    If so, than the user of that other computer has Sharing enabled, it has nothing to do with your SHARING settings.

You can disable Servers in the Sidebar via Finder > Preferences > Sidebar.

[​IMG]

4. Darjeeling thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on my home network... the only connected computer is my daughter's Dell laptop, and I'm updating her antivirus software. But I've never seen her machine (or any of the other household computers) appear in the Finder sidebar before this evening. Wonder how I changed that setting?

Her XP machine had a virus and a trojan, now gone courtesy McAfee.

UPDATE: yes, it is her machine. The computer name in Windoze matches the server name I saw. Guess I should turn off sharing on her machine...

5. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

If this is your home network over wifi and you don't have other computer on it, or any PC at all. You might consider either MAC address filters, or WPA2 password protection, or both. I use both.

6. Darjeeling thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, my WiFi is wpa2 password protected.

7. Ice Cream Man macrumors member

Ice Cream Man

I just like using the MAC address filter to keep computers that might crack WPA off. :)

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

MAC addresses can be spoofed easily. The key is a solid WPA/2 password, which will include special characters and non-dictionary words.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Don't rely on the GUI firewall in OS X. Since OS X is based on 30 year old BSD it has the latest IPFW on the command line. However someone named Hanynet made NoobProof (for IPFW beginners) and WaterRoof (for network gurus) to give a GUI to the BSD firewall (IPFW) that is in OS X.

Using one of these free programs will lock down your Mac so tight if won't allow any logical port in, with a few simple clicks.