Unexpected SSD results (Intel Extreme) (wtf)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gjarold, Mar 31, 2009.

1. gjarold macrumors regular

New 2009 octo 2.2ghz.

It shipped with the 7200 rpm 600-ish GB drive.

I timed it 5 times from startup chime to fully booted - it took between 35 and 37 seconds each boot, and shutdown time was 4-6 seconds each time.

Then I put an Intel x25-E (the extreme SSD, the one that has high write as well as high read speed) (model number is SSDSA2SH032G1C5) into drive bay 1, and moved the original drive to bay 2.

Formatted/erased both drives, installed OSX on the SSD. Booted a few times to get the "welcome" crap out of the way.

Startup time is _exactly the same_. It is the same 35-37 seconds, just like with the spinning drive. Shutdown time is also _exactly the same_.

This is very, very disappointing and I really can't imagine how to explain these results ... I know there are some CPU-bound activities in both startup and shutdown, but there is also a lot of IO ... I cannot believe that the time is _identical_.

Thoughts ? Anyone else witnessing this ?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I know the earlier batches of the intel x25-m/e have different firmwares where the efi system has trouble finding the boot drive.

This is why it takes the same time as a hdd to boot and shutdown.

I had the intel x25-m and I couldnt install bootcamp for windows and it took a long time for it to boot and shutdown. I sold it off since but I read recently that the newer versions of the intel ssds have these issues fixed.

3. gjarold thread starter macrumors regular

Well ...

I just bought this -E drive two days ago from Amazon, so I can't imagine it's an old one. You have to assume Amazon runs through their existing stock fairly quickly.

Second, if the system is having some kind of trouble finding the disk, but then eventually finds it after all each time I boot, it's hard to believe that the time would match up _perfectly_. That would be an awfully amazing coincidence if the original spinning boot up time and the new SSD+confused_OSX boot up time just happened to be identical.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Did you do a complete HDD ERASE on the Solid State Drive before reinstalling Mac OS X?

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Sometimes Amazon.com still has old inventory still available to sell. I would check which firmware is on that model and see if you can upgrade it.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

OS is small files.

You are thinking about large file transfer speed. Small read / write is slower than large read / write.

7. Konacoffee macrumors newbie

Konacoffee

Any chance your are still booting off of the drive in Bay 2?

8. gjarold thread starter macrumors regular

No.

It was a brand new drive - no data has ever been written to it. I don't know how a HDD Erase would affect this measurement.

9. gjarold thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I realize that, but small read/write on an SSD is still faster than small read/write on a spinning disk.

The point here is that there was _no improvement_. There should have been some, if only a little. There was none. System boot is not one second faster.

That is unexpected.

10. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Make sure that you are booting from the SSD. Open the System Preferences and check the Startup Disk.

I am running an Intel x25-M and it goes from chime to the login in about 15-20 seconds. :)

11. gjarold thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it is booting from the Intel drive. I see it in preferences and have confirmed it in the dmesg:

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleAHCI/PRT2@2/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/SSDSA2SH032G1GN INTEL Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/Untitled@2

So it's using the right drive to boot from ...

12. California macrumors 68040

California

I think it is because there is some data even on new hard drives/ssd's?

I agree: I'd do a complete erase of the drive before putting the OS on it in disc utility.