Unexplained hidden files - safe to delete?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spectrum, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Spectrum, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

I recently started bakcing up my files using SugarSync. I was intrigued to notice in the transfer window, hundreds of ".DSCxxxx.JPG_" listed (and transferring) in addition to all my regular files and JPEGs.

I have just used TinkerTool to reveal hidden files, and I can now see that a number of my photo folders contain a duplicate of the JPEG, which is the same size, and has the same filename but is hidden.

i.e I have a folder containing "196" items - each about 2.5 MB, but the folder is in fact actually 1.2GB - more than twice the size as expected!

Using TinkerTool I can see that the folder actually has an additional 274 hidden JPEG items in it! Which take up about 700 MB.

If I move or copy any of the JPEGs to a new folder, the "hidden" file does not migrate. Can I infer that I can therefore delete all the ghost JPEGs with no ill effect? I will of course, not delete the .DS_Store and Icon files etc.

Any ideas what may have caused these files to appear?

Cheers, Matt

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Maybe these are created by whatever photo editing/organization software you are using?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Created BY An Old

iTunes library? I'll stick my neck out and say that they may have come from an attached device (iPad, iPhone etc)

Do A TM FIRST then delete them.....

4. bobotech macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that programs like iPhoto and others wil create a backup of the original JPG image so that if you need to revert back to the original image, you can. That's all I have to offer.

5. Spectrum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Thanks for the ideas. I store my photos in separate folders and not in iPhoto.

I have deleted the hidden files and everything seems fine. In fact it was only one folder with this problem.)

Now, of course I have discovered a different problem with dozens of my SugarSynced JPEG folders: On my second computer the files inside the folders only display a generic JPEG thumbnail - even in coverflow.

I can Quick look the file OK.
    And I can open the file it is OK.

But if I rotate the image and try to resave it - I get an error saying that save is not possible.

Copying the file first does not help, but "Save As" does correct the problem (and the Finder-generated thumbnail then reappears).

Did SugarSync kill something in the JPEG resource file? Interestingly, not all of my folders have the problem - and even some JPEGs in some folders are OK too.

6. Jenni8 macrumors member

Usually those hidden files are the thumbnail and/or preview, which would explain for the lack of the small version as the icon. As well as your error, when you tried to rotate the image, then it would try to rotate the thumbnail image, which you deleted. The fact that they were full size would mean you have some setting somewhere is some imagery program or something set to a "full size preview." I know adobe has these, but they can be easily managed. Maybe it's through your OS settings with"full-size preview" somewhere. But I know in my adobe programs you can set the size of preview and the size of the cache.

I'd check all your system display settings or if you tweaked anything with some app.

The program your saving your image from is the likely culprit as it was clearly trying to change the hidden file. I'd start their first. Now if you clean your cache in that program and these duplicate hidden files are gone then you found your answer.

7. Spectrum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

I'm going to check today on my other computer (at work), but I suspect the problem files (the ones that won't now save after transfer using SugarSync) are photos that I created custom thumbnails for using Coco Thumb X. These date back 3-5 years. I made custom thumbs at that time because the Finder thumbs in Tiger were of very poor quality (all jagged).

I've since stopped making custom thumbs and instead rely on the Finder's ability instead which has improved somewhat - but is still not ideal. (They have an unnecessary border, making them smaller than they could be, and black bars on every thumbnail within this frame due to the aspect ratio of my camera being 3:2.). Custom thumbs always look better than this.

So I guess the problem is SugarSync failing to copy across some important metadata/resource fork. This is bad news and makes me nervous for all the other filetypes I have just synchronised.

Does any body know if any of the other file sync solutions are more reliable/ a bette/safer option for OSX files?

8. Jenni8 macrumors member

Do you still have Coco Thumb X? Maybe this very app which you created the Thumbnails can fix this issue. Some kind of undo button of sorts.

But if the app is of no help to you . . .do you have an enormous amount of pictures with custom thumbnails? I'm anal with my picture files as I have all mine organized in a process that took forever due to my large amount of pics. Backing up my pics alone was a chore initially, I've done it a few times already. But if you don't have too many to deal with, I would open each one by one and Save As with the quality set to 12 if possible or 10 since you have JPGs, this way the quality remains the same or not noticeable at least. That Coco app is obviously needless now as it had outgrown it's value, especially since it ended up doubling up the space of those pictures, when a thumbnail should only be like 1 MB, as it IS tiny in comparison, even with good quality; So why not just delete the old problematic pics after saving a duplicate. It might take a while. But take it little by little if you do have a lot and you'll feel better that it will work like you need.

As far as the Sync software. I know nothing about it, but if this app does't have some feature to sync hidden files, which I'd think it should, then MAYBE if you unhide the files, the'll be read by the app and therefore synced. I have a widget that I can press on or off for hidden files, it can be handy.