Unexplained WiFi dropouts only under OS X (NOT under Windows)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bill Gates, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I have been having seemingly unexplained wireless dropouts under OS X as of late. What will happen is that the connection will suddenly drop, and then come back 10-15 seconds later. I don't know if they would have occurred under 10.5.6 (I'm currently running 10.5.7) as I had not used my MBP with the same wireless equipment until after having upgraded to 10.5.7. However, I do know that in the exact same room using Microsoft Windows I experience no such dropouts. The other wirelessly-connected Mac, the 24" iMac in my signature, does not experience the same dropouts. Is anyone else experiencing something similar? Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. marzxbarz macrumors member

Is this on an N-enabled router? I remember my old 2.33Ghz MBP as well as 2.16Ghz MB would constantly drop the connection when connected to the N-enabled router. I disabled it to B/G-only and it hasn't happened since.

3. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Just bring it to the Apple Store to get it checked out.

4. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

Yes! I have the same problem! Running windows via bootcamp, it's fine, but the internet connection on the Mac side is wonky. I think 10.5.7 made it better. I never noticed it in 10.5.5, so it was introduced in 10.5.6.

5. MADMAXX macrumors member

And you have all upgraded to the latest versions of Airport drivers? Released last week? Usually this is the cause.

6. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

7. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I had problems with my MBP losing signal with the Airport Extreme which was only less than 75 feet away (though a floor lower). I thought it was an issue with the AEBS or MBP until I got U-Verse and now use the supplied 2Wire and still have the same issue.

I don't think its an issue with my MBP as the PS3, iPhone and roommate's MB all have the same issues with signal cutting in and out occasionally. Coincidentally, the AEBS works flawlessly at my sister's place with her MB.

My suggestion would be to test it out at another WiFi spot...if it happens with a different spot, its safe to say it is your machine.