Unfair Apple! New iLife/iWork Apps Should Be Avail for ML!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by groove-agent, Apr 20, 2014.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

Firstly, I don't like Mavericks for many reasons and don't believe in upgrading just to have the latest and greatest. I'd rather stay with ML where my new machine runs much more smoothly, and I can still have a 2D dock.

In order to have the current version of iLife/iWork I'm forced to upgrade. I think that's lame to exclude customers who want to stick with the OS their Mac came with. I'm sure there are technological reasons why but still, very unfair to users. Maybe it's the compressed memory?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe it is due to the new memory and energy improvements that they added in Mavericks that they optimized the new iMovie for.

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Why is it unfair to users? They didn't have to provide you with a free upgrade to the new verison of iLife and iWork. Look at iWork '08. It was a paid upgrade if you wanted the new version. Plus, if you wanted iWork '08 and were still running 10.3 Panther, you had to pay for Tiger or Leopard. Both of these fees have been eliminated.

Also, what "2D" dock are you talking about? The standard dock that came with 10.5-10.8 and is actaully 3D and just not frosted glass, or the dock that resembles the "Side Dock" option in older OS X versions? Because the latter can be enabled with a terminal command.

4. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll pay for it if I can use it with ML.

Forcing people to upgrade their entire OS just because they want to update an app is ridiculous.

The latter version cannot be upgraded with a terminal command in Mavericks. There are many posts about this.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay. Try using Safari in System Software 7.5. What? don't know what it is? Can't find it? Oh, that's right.. you have to upgrade.

Have a 64-bit application you want to use, but have a 32-bit operating system? Guess what? You have to upgrade!!

What you don't get is that applications do have software requirements. Your OS does not meet that requirement. Just because you don't want to upgrade doesn't mean that everyone else should be stuck with something because you want to cry foul about it.

In short, your sense of entitlement here is astounding, especially given the fact that you are picking the wrong battle. Either upgrade, or stay with the version that you have. Those are your two choices, and no other stomping your feet is going to get you what you want.

BL.

6. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Ah yes, so it's unfair specifically because the new apps can't support older hardware, which is outdated.

It isn't anything to do with Apple not caring, it's because you don't care enough about these apps to upgrade to Mavericks in the first place.

7. star trek macrumors newbie

:D The virtuous mechanism of the economy.....U've got to give your money to Apple and &....Apple and & would become richer and richer with their iphone,ipad,iwatch and mac's builded in China spending only few $ and sold all over the world at a MUCH MUCH MUCH BIGGER PRICE !!!! They call it : GLOBALIZATION .... :apple::apple::apple:

8. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

You don't have to give your money too Apple. You choose too. The OP could have just as easily went and bought another brand and they would be doing the same thing. Its your money, you don't have to give it to Apple. Hell, you don't even have to buy a computer, or a phone, or a tablet. You choose too.

And OP, first off apologies. I didn't know that the 2D dock was completely removed from Mavericks. Secondly, a lot of app updates are like that. Take for instance Windows Vista and Internet Explorer (first one that pops into my head right now). The last version of IE that works with Vista is 9. To use 10 or 11, the user has to upgrade to Win7 or later. I'm sure a lot of WinXP users are going to be like that in the near future since devs will no longer develop for an OS not receiving security patches anymore.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to sounds harsh but that's the life in the Apple ecosystem. They are generally not backward compatible. Its even worse in the iOS world where less new apps will run on a legacy OS.

The bottom line is there are consequences for sticking with an older operating system. It may not be fair, many people may not like it, but that's what happens if you choose not to upgrade. I'm not knocking you for refusing to upgrade, I think it makes perfect sense but the downside is that you may lose out on apps, and in this case it appears you have with iWork

Personally, the only think you are losing out in iWork is the ability to use iCloud. Apple gutted the newer versions of iWorks

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

With the most recent updates, virtually all of the Applescript support has been restored. In fact, there are actually more options in Numbers now than there was in '09. Apple said when they updated those apps that some features that were missing at launch would be added in at a later time. So far, Apple has done just that with every update to the iWork suite.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Some of the stuff I was using is still missing, mostly templates and visual stuff. At this point I've already moved on to Office as that has a stronger and richer set of tools, albeit for a cost.

12. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

If you like 2D, try iOS 7.

13. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

If you want a 2D dock you can use System 7.

14. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Upgrading to iLife/iWork, would you not be doing exactly what you are oppose to doing? :D

15. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I need the latest Garageband for teaching purposes - not just for having latest and greatest.

----------

Yes, I've been following most of those threads. I would prefer not to install shareware for stability reasons.

16. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i don't get it; if the apps have been updated, and require a new OS to run...then that's the deal. so you run the versions compatible with your OS. that's how it works, how it's always worked.

if ANY company updates their software, and that update requires a certain OS...
    you adapt, or stay where you are. YOUR choice.

it's like complaining that tv shows are now in color, and your black&white tv doesn't support that. why can't they just make color show on YOUR tv? :cool:

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, you have your answer then. If you need it to teach, you'll need to upgrade.

You can call it unfair, but at the end of the day, you'll have to upgrade if you want to use the latest version of iLife or iWork.

As I stated, people decide not to upgrade and that's their right, but there is a price to pay, at some point apps that you want will not run on the legacy OS.

18. SvP macrumors 6502

SvP

My 2009(!) macbook pro runs buttersmooth on mavericks; more stable, faster, less battery drain. It's all a matter of perception, and you can safely say your perception is often wrong ;-)

19. star trek macrumors newbie

:eek: unfair apple :eek: My message to all slaves of globalization cancelled from apple :eek: no more iphone,ipad,ipod, never ever a mac It's all about money this world is going crazy !!!!! :eek: :apple::apple::apple:

20. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

thankfully, there are the non-corporate alternatives. microsoft, google... :D

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'm completely stymied on why you steadfastly refuse to upgrade to Mavericks. It's faster (given that you don't have a HDD and boot off an SSD instead), RAM management is way better than in ML, it gives you the ability to run the latest software, it's FREE, and you should always update your Mac to be on the latest software for security's sake too.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There are also reports that Mavericks doesn't play nice with older computers. Not everyone wants to upgrade, regardless of the price. Though the choice comes with consequences, such as losing out on software. Sticking with a Legacy OS restricts what is compatible.

23. star trek, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

star trek macrumors newbie

:D Finally revealed the truth....... : the crash of UFO in Roswell was a really alien saucer fallen to earth and aliens have iphone and ipod and ipad and iwatch and mac's and from these high evoluted artifacts through reverse enginering the Nasa gave to Steve job the possibility to sell these products all over the world !!!!! Ask to Bob Dean he would confirm....!!!!!:D :D :D

Next iphone 6 is going to have teletransport like on enterprise !? that's would be a very good thing!!!!! :D

\\// Long life and Prosper \\//

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Think of it as a blessing in disguise you can't update iWork. The new apps are appalling.