Unfair Customer Service - Australia

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karval, Jan 2, 2008.

1. karval macrumors newbie

Good-day..sorry this is a long article but i had to express my anger with apple customer service!!

5 Days ago I called the apple store to purchase an iPod for my Dad for his birthday. While browsing the internet and talking to the sales rep on the phone, I noticed the "Mac Mini" on the Apple website at aprox $700. I thought that the Mac Mini seemed like a better gift since his current pc was bombarded with viruses.

So I asked the rep to give me the price of a faster Mac Mini, with more ram & more hard drive space. I thought that since i'm buying a computer, I might as well make sure it lasts atleast 3 years.

So the order was placed and my credit card details were given to the rep and the order was finalised...

A few days later I heard my dad talking to a friend about the apple notebooks....and how he adored them!!! So now i was in trouble...i couldnt give him the mac mini...I had to buy a mac laptop instead...

So I called Apple back and asked them to change the order to a (more expensive) Apple notebook because I heard my dad talking about how he loved it. The sales rep told me.."if the order has been shipped out we cannot exchange nor take the product back because it has been 'personalized" for you....

I was fuuuuurrriousssssssssss.....

I told her that these terms and conditions were never mentioned to me when the sales rep was trying to make the sale. Her response was that once the credit card has been authorised the terms and conditions were emailed to me me. My argument is that firstly why was the terms & conditions sent out to me AFTER I had given them my credit card details and made the payment. Also...so what if the order had been shipped out...it wasnt really personalised...i just asked for the upgraded mac mini which i'm sure thousands of people purchase daily. And what if it wasnt shipped out but already made...whats the difference ??? Finally....I wanted another Mac product which was double the price....they didnt even consider that!!!!

I think that that is simply unfair, and low quality customer service. For a company who's image is generally portraid as the computer company that makes a difference, and who cares about the public....I was really dissappointed and astonished at what they did. I am now stuck with a Mac Mini which I cannot give to my dad....I have not enough of cash to spare to go and buy a mac laptop....and I now have to give my dad a cheaper gift. :(

I will never, ever, ever buy another apple product again....and neither will my friends nor my family!

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Could you do the transaction in a retail Apple Store? It might be easier to take care of there, if they can handle orders that were purchased online.

The mini you purchased... is it the $799 one on the Apple Site? (Or is it an actual custom configuration)

Besides going to an actual store, I'd simply call back and try again. If they deny it still, ask to speak to a manager and explain your situation.

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

Sorry, but it's personalised, it's been custom made to order, therefore, it's personalised. I think your **** out of luck.

Just give him the Mac Mini :)

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

It's pretty standard practice that customized customers can't be returned.

While I understand your plight, I bet your dad will be happy with his gift.

That being said...research a bit more next time.

5. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

That is a basic policy, because they can't as easily rebox and sell the mini again as new, it would go as refurb and cost them money. Surely that is understandable. If there is a store or something around though you could try them, OR just call again, ask to speak with a manager, kindly explain your situation and the trouble you had, how you want to buy a more expensive product, etc, and they may let you return it this time and probably on their dime for shipping.

That is what I would do first. Chances are you will get someone more understanding this time, and if you talk to a higher up they may be more willing to help you, because they can make decisions that normal customer service reps probably can't.

However, if all else fails : depending on your time frame, you could always sell the mini on ebay (you will probably get as much as you paid for it, if not more from someone who isn't all that smart lol) and then grab that cash and buy the macbook.

GL!

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the fact that he thinks mac laptops are awesome doesn't mean you can't give him the mini......so go ahead and give it to him

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

And it does say in the terms and conditions (on the Apple web site) that personalised product wont be returned. IMHO I think Apple should be able to handle these sorts of returns but I do understand their POV when it's to do with laser engravings.