Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
Hi, I believe there is some unfair moderation in the iphone forum based off previous experienced. I was just wondering if the admins could look into some moderation tactics employed by certain mods.

Other posters have told me they received unfair moderation as well in the iphone forum, which kind of makes people feel like any harmless thing they said will be misconstrued into something that is bannable and offensive.

Last edited:

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Hi, I made a post in the iphone forum and i received multiple warnings from a certain mod for using racist terms. the word i used was niggardly, so i politely corrected him, but then he gave me a warning for informing him. according to other posters, he has a history of giving unjustified warnings. :)

While that word is not etymologically racist, it is controversial.

If you read that above linked article, some people, justly or not, find it quite offensive. That being the case, and this forum having the traffic that it has, it's probably best not to use that word, in my opinion.

Nov 28, 2010
located
While that word is not etymologically racist, it is controversial.

If you read that above linked article, some people, justly or not, find it quite offensive. That being the case, and this forum having the traffic that it has, it's probably best not to use that word, in my opinion.

I learned a new word today, but if the ignorance of others should be a reason to limit one's vocabulary, maybe we should all just apostrophically welcome the bliss of PC, not meaning those non-Macs that abbreviation sometimes can refer to.

OP, maybe throw in a basterd or too. Spelling don't matters.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Hi, I made a post in the iphone forum and i received multiple warnings from a certain mod for using racist terms. the word i used was niggardly (which really isn't a racist term), so i politely corrected him, but then he gave me a warning for informing him. according to other posters, he has a history of giving unjustified warnings. :(

Use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to have the Admins review it.

dreary

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
i don't really appreciate being called a racist because someone was uninformed, and then repeatedly reprimanded.

ah well, this situation has certainly left a bad taste in my mouth and just thought administration should know. :)

----------

Use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page to have the Admins review it.

will do that, thanks. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Hi, I made a post in the iphone forum and i received multiple warnings from a certain mod for using racist terms. the word i used was niggardly (which really isn't a racist term), so i politely corrected him, but then he gave me a warning for informing him.

Genuinely funniest thing I've read today.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Pink∆Floyd;13852577 said:
Can you tell us which mod did this?
It's in their modified post in the other thread.

This is not the place to discuss specific actions of moderation.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Moderation_FAQ
You can post in the Site and Forum Feedback forum if you want to discuss forum rules and moderation policies in general, but keep it general, not about a specific case of moderation.
If you want a further explanation use the Contact form so we can be perfectly frank and discuss your posts and forum record.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The word means stingy or miserly. I believe I recall that it was of Scandinavian origin.

While I realize that it sounds like an unacceptably offensive word - it is not.

Ignorance of English vocabulary is not a reason to condemn the use of a perfectly useful word.

As far as Mods response, since I don't know what was done it is impossible to comment. It is, however, possible that the Mod was not familiar with the word. But a negative action based on the sound of a word, and not it's meaning, seems inappropriate.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Pink∆Floyd;13852707 said:
Ok, I want him to make it public so the general public knows which mod was ignorant enough not to know the origin and actual meaning of the word

Not going to happen unless the mod wants to come forward. Best to let this go. Trust me.

Pink∆Floyd

macrumors 68020
Nov 21, 2009
Up There
Not going to happen unless the mod wants to come forward. Best to let this go. Trust me.

It's ok now, I PM'd the guy and got my answer

I'll keep an eye out for that mod

----------

Perhaps the mod in question will go back and edit out the 80+ other uses of the word on the site. :D

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=niggardly+site:macrumors.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Goes to show how inconsistent the mods are.

It all depends on luck

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Pink∆Floyd;13852734 said:

It all depends on luck
It actually depends on which posts are brought to our attention.

Since the site began, there have only been two post reports submitted with this word: the one pertinent to this case, and one other that was deleted for being off-topic. I hardly think that's grounds for calling us inconsistent.

It's not a common word; I think it's understandable that the mod understood it to mean something else. We receive many reports each day, and don't have the time to review each to complete perfection. Plus, we're human; we make mistakes.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
It's not a common word; I think it's understandable that the mod understood it to mean something else. We receive many reports each day, and don't have the time to review each to complete perfection. Plus, we're human; we make mistakes.

I think this is fair; no mod is perfect. We're all going to make mistakes.

The part that intrigues me is that whoever this mod is, (s)he didn't think to use a dictionary twice. The OP said he was given a warning even after trying to point out the mod had made a mistake.

That's not an entirely comforting thought.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I think this is fair; no mod is perfect. We're all going to make mistakes.

The part that intrigues me is that whoever this mod is, (s)he didn't think to use a dictionary twice. The OP said he was given a warning even after trying to point out the mod had made a mistake.

That's not an entirely comforting thought.
From what I can see, that's not an accurate representation of what happened.

However, it's being handled privately. What happened is between dreary, the mod(s) who were involved, and the admins, as per our privacy policy.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
From what I can see, that's not an accurate representation of what happened.

However, it's being handled privately. What happened is between dreary, the mod(s) who were involved, and the admins, as per our privacy policy.

If this is an issue that is being handled between the OP and the mod(s) that were involved, why are you, then, coming on here and commenting on what is or is not an "accurate representation" of what happened? If this was, indeed, a private matter, as you claim, then you should not be confirming or denying anything in relation to that incident.

The privacy policy clearly states that the OP must "explicitly" grant permission for his/her moderation to be discussed. Making statements that confirm or deny specifics that pertain to the moderation is a form of discussion of the moderation in question and therefore in direct violation of the privacy policy. How ironic.

So much for that privacy policy, huh? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Pink∆Floyd;13852577 said:
Can you tell us which mod did this?

Pink∆Floyd;13852707 said:
Ok, I want him to make it public so the general public knows which mod was ignorant enough not to know the origin and actual meaning of the word

Pink∆Floyd;13852734 said:
It's ok now, I PM'd the guy and got my answer

I'll keep an eye out for that mod

----------

It all depends on luck

The "Contact us" form is there for a reason; so that any member can contact us about - among other things - questions or complaints about moderation.

We ask that all members respect the forum rules. The part called What if I disagree with moderation of my posts? gives a very thorough explanation of how to go forward.

All contacts are read, and responded to. I doubt there's any moderator here who has never once had a decision reversed - I know I have. We're all human, and with the huge number of reports that are dealt with on a daily basis, something can occasionally be misinterpreted. That's why we have a review system. Making moderation personal, as has been done here, is not the way to go.

Just to be clear, I haven't looked into this case, and don't yet know if anyone else has. If a contact is sent, it will be handled privately, as is appropriate. I'm answering here right now solely as a reminder that questions concerning specific cases of moderation are to be handled via the Contact us form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.